Chapter 8

Y/n stared at her wardrobe hard and long. When she started living in Lotus Pier, everything she needed was provided.- clothes, a room, books- everything she'd ask for, that y/n thought it was suspicious. What would the exchange be?

But she wasn't complaining, though. It's not that she had somewhere else to go, except for that cave, which is not a good idea.

Although everything is provided for her, nothing prepared her for what Jiang Cheng asked.

When Jiang Cheng was near enough, y/n bowed as a sign of respect. She mumbled ' Sect Leader Jiang ' and he reciprocated her bow.

"Qini. I permit you to call me by my name, as you saved my nephew. Although, I must regret to say that I will call you Qini, even though you got your courtesy name from an unfortunate time." Jiang Cheng said stiffly.

Who shove a stick in his ass? Y/n
thought.

" Thank you, Jiang Cheng. It is a pleasure," Y/n bowed and smiled a little bit. Hey, even though y/n couldn't remember jack, but she sure as hell remember her manners. Sometimes.

"Now, as we get the formalities out of the way, I would to request your presence to a dinner with me. I won't take no for an answer, as I would want to get to know the person who took care of my nephew. I'll ask for a few days because I have some things to take care of. Now, I must be going, 奇妮小姐 Qínī xiǎojiě ( Miss Qini ). "

Jiang Cheng took no delay when he left y/n dumbfounded. Her smile was frozen and she was still looking at his spot, not believing what happened. He didn't even give her a chance to say something!

Y/n stomped her way back to Jingliu's house, looking for granny.

But then, she remembered that Granny left the house, and she ought to ask around if they saw Granny. After a few misdirections, she was brought to an isolated hut which even from afar, it smelled of herbs and spices.

Rows and rows of herbs were hung at the ceiling, and rows of jars with labels were arranged at her left. She read one label: cayenne. She then noticed the long table at her right, which was full of mortars, cutting boards, and knives. But at the window, there were vases of lotus flowers, which was a contrast to the dried herbs and made the room livelier. Granny was at the bamboo couch, plucking some leaves out of it's stem and humming an off-tune melody. It sounded creepy, but y/n could see in Granny's face that she enjoys her work. A cat suddenly entered through the unclosed door, and it went straight to Granny and she petted the cat. She set aside her work and focused on the cat, saying random things.

It tugged at y/n's heart. Seeing the homely scene, she suddenly wanted to be at home which she never had. Maybe Lotus Pier was the only thing remotely close to home rather than the cave, but she knew that she didn't belong here. It can be her house at the moment, but it can never be home.

She was sadden by the thought. The cat, being the sensitive animals they were, hopped off of Granny's lap and went to y/n to comfort her. She smiled softly and bent over to scratch the cat's ear.

"A' Qi ah! I'm so sorry I didn't notice you! What brings you here?" Granny said apologetically.

" Oh, it's nothing, I guess. I was pissed earlier at Jiang Cheng, making decisions without my consent especially when I'm included. It infuriated me to think that I had no voice over it. But it's gone now. Suddenly, when I entered at your place, I miss home, which is silly because I don't even know where my home is."
Y/n didn't meet Granny's eyes, as she was afraid of her reaction. If Granny was showing pity, it'll piss y/n off so she focused on the cat instead.
"So, you work here? How can I help you?" She said, trying to advert the topic.