15- Conflict in the Institute

Start from the beginning

The group reached the Institute not long after. Standing in the hallway as they entered, was Hodge. And he did not look happy.

"Do you have any idea how worried I was when I found Jace's note? Not only did you leave without physically telling me, but you went against the Clave's wishes to investigate something that is bigger than you or me?"

Ethan stepped closer to Alec for support, just as Alec stepped closer to Ethan to comfort him. The two bumped into each other and blushed at the contact, looking anywhere but at each other. They were completely unaware of Izzy's smirk or Simon glaring daggers at Alec.

"We just saved you a job! We can't get their memories back so we have to find another way to find the cup" Jace argued.

Hodge sighed "Just... go. It isn't worth having this conversation again"

As the Shadowhunters moved to walk past him, Ethan grabbed Simon and pulled him into the closest room, which just so happened to be the Infirmary. 

"E?" Simon said, as Ethan locked the door, "What are you doing?"

"Simon, I'm sorry" Ethan started, sighing.

Simon looked down at the floor. "That kiss was a mistake, wasn't it?"

As Simon met Ethan's gaze again, Ethan nodded, the guilt pooling in his stomach now being shown freely on his face.

"I'm so sorry, Si-" Ethan started, but he was cut of by Simon laughing bitterly.

"You know, I've been in love with you for years. The moment I met you, when Clary brought me round to the flat for the first time, and you walked into Clary's room asking to borrow some pencils, I thought ' This is it. This is the person you have been waiting to meet.' You were the one who made me realise that I was gay, for Christ's sake, Ethan!"

"Simon..." Ethan started, but was cut off by Simon holding his hand up.

"I'm not finished yet, Ethan," he said, getting more worked up now, "what I don't get is: why did you do it? Why did you kiss me back if you didn't mean it? You have led me on, and it feels shit!"

Ethan was crying now, tears rolling down his cheeks. "I never meant to do this, Simon, I promise. I was just so relieved that you were safe, I guess my emotions were out of whack"

Simon, also crying, scoffed and shook his head "Clary said this would happen. She said to me: 'One day, Ethan is going to break your heart, and I'd rather not see this happen'. I never believed her, never. Until now"

"Simon," Ethan said, his voice breaking, "I never meant to hurt you, I promise. I am so sorry"

"You're sounding like a broken record now. I don't belong here, and clearly you are having too much fun with Mr Intimidating to care how I feel, so I'm leaving. I hope you're happy, Ethan"

And with that, Simon moved to leave, but not before turning around to speak to Ethan again.

"I may be so incredibly mad at you now, but text me if you find out anything about your mom. I care about her too"

As Simon left, Ethan sank down onto his knees and cried, over losing the best friend he has ever made.

                                                 ...........................................................

Whilst Simon and Ethan were arguing in the Infirmary, Alec had chased after Clary in the hopes of conveying something very important.

"What do you want, Alec?" Clary said, glaring at the Shadowhunter who had given her not so  pleasant welcome.