Chapter Two

Dark blue eyes drooped in relief as a slim pale hand rummaged in a black leather bag, digging about. Black eyebrows furrowed as hands dug about looking for keys. It had been a long day at work, she was tired, hungry, and just so very done.

Yes, she loved her job but like everyone else in the world she was allowed just one day to be so very over it. So it was with a sigh of relief that she pulled her keys from her purse and opened the door. "Honey I'm home!" Her voice rang out on the one bedroom apartment, the only other sound was her kicking off her shoes and throwing her keys on the hallway table.

It was with a tired sigh that she pulled her hair out from its high pony tail, shaking the locks out as she closed her eyes and let her feet guide her into the living room. "Today was a real day and a half!" She opened her eyes, a smile on her face, ready to tell her fiance about her day.

Her mouth went dry at the sight that greeted her. There on the couch was a distraught looking Lori whom was wrapped in Shane's arms. On the other side of the couch was Carl, his eyes were red as if he had been crying yet his face was schooled into a solemn looking girmance.

"What happened?" The words tumbled from her mouth before she even knew it. It was probably rude but she didn't care. Something had to have happened...their auras were so distraught, so muddled with worry and fear.

Shane cleared his throat lightly, subconsciously moving away from Lori as if feeling guilty, his eyes taking in the way his fiance's shoulders squared, readying herself to handle what she no doubt knew was coming. She had a sixth sense about things like this, how she had not picked up on other things was beyond him, she always seemed to know when you were uneasy or upset and would try her best to make things better.

It was in her nature.

She was so loving, so trusting...so naive...he pushed the thoughts away and swallowed thickly. He cared about her, he felt something for her; he was marrying her, and while it wasn't as strong as what he felt for Lori she was still dear to him and he knew what he was about to tell her would hurt her. She and Rick had grown close, almost like siblings, and he was honestly surprised no one had stopped her on her way home and told her of what had happened.

She was well known around town, the most requested nurse at the clinic, and well respected and loved. Then again everyone was still reeling from what had happened, no one had expected such a brutal shoot out in their normally peaceful town.

"It's Rick...he was shot...he's in a coma." His dark brown eyes watched as her face fell, as if someone had literally defaulted her, her eyes closing as she held a hand to her forehead as if trying to wrap her mind around what he had said.

Her mind was running around, jumping from thought to thought, was he hit in a vital area? How much blood had he lost? Was he brain dead? No- he couldn't be! Did they- She quickly shut off her training and moved to the couch sitting down in one fluid motion to pull Carl into her arms. "Oh honey..." She knew how much he idolized his father and even as he tried to pull away and brush her off she only held him tighter, rubbing his back as he slowly wrapped his arms around her and started to sob.

Carl grit his teeth as tears began to run down his face, he had tried so to hold them back, to be strong for his mom yet as she held him and whispered to him he couldn't help it. Even when his mother had hugged him and tried to coddle him he hadn't broken down yet....yet...Kagome was different.

Shane and Lori shared a look, feeling out of place next to the two. It was odd, to feel so let out..so awkward next to them. Lori felt a small pang of jealousy flash through her yet she shoved it down, now was not the time to be jealous that her son was more comfortable crying in Kagome's arms then hers. Deep down a small voice whispered it was what she deserved for what she was doing to the other woman.

Kagome glanced up from Carl and met her eyes, making the other woman shiver. "Lori, if you need anything let us know." Her voice was so sincere and full of emotion that it made her heart flutter. How could she keep doing this to woman who held nothing but love for her and her family? Swallowing thickly she could only nod.

Shane sensing the mood nodded his head, shifting a bit closer to Lori, "You guys can stay the night here and tomorrow we can all go check on Rick. I'm sure he'll pull through." He gave a nervous laugh, he wasn't to good when it came to things like this.

"Thank you both...I-we...thanks." Lori paused as she stood up and cleared her throat, rubbing her now sweaty hands on her jeans. "I think I'm going to go start dinner, its the least I can do." Kagome nodded, knowing that the other woman was just trying to find a way to distract herself from the current situation.

She glanced at her fiance and gave him the look. He sighed but nodded as he stood up. "I'll help." With that the two of them left the room.

~.~.~

Lori was concentrating on making dinner but her mind kept going back to Kagome. She was so kind and loving...but here she was fucking her soon to be husband.

The woman didn't have a mean bone in her body, and was always kind....she was there for everyone when they needed someone. Kagome Higurashi was a person everyone seemed to love.

Looking over at Shane, Lori bit her lip as she sat the knife down with a sigh before blurting out, "We can't do this anymore....." she licked her lips as Shane looked at her, "....I can't...now while Rick.....and not to Kagome...she doesn't deserve this."

Shane sighed, running a hand through his hair, "I know...." he whispered, "...I know..."

He didn't like doing this to her, but he couldn't help it. Shane loved Lori more than he did Kagome. He was only settling for Kagome because Lori was taken. It might sound horrible, but he couldn't do anything else.

Lori was right, Kagome didn't deserve this...but he didn't want to stop.

"I don't want to stop though....I love you Lori. If you weren't married, you know I would pick you over her." Shane said this and saw the look of guilt on Lori's face...but what he said was true. He would always pick Lori over Kagome. He may have strong feelings for the asian, but Lori would always have his heart fully.

The two stayed in silence after that, but what they didn't' know a set of young ears hear this confession and didn't know what to make of it.