Chapter 2: Light at The End of a Blood-Soaked Tunnel

It was her. The woman who had died so many years ago, Donatella. She walked into the room holding a tray of traditional Italian home-cooked breakfast. Diavolo realized it had been years since he had eaten anything that didn't kill him.

"Donatella... it's really you..." He felt completely bewildered.

"Of course it is, silly! I'll go wake up Trish." She didn't seem to notice his frightful expression, but what was that she said? Trish?

Suddenly, Diavolo felt a presence inside himself. It was him! He was back! Ever since Silver Chariot Requiem had activated, Doppio had been silent, but now he had returned! Diavolo picked up a roll of bread from the breakfast tray and used it as a phone.

"Hello? Doppio... my sweet Doppio... your back!"

"Solido? What do you mean? I last talked to you yesterday morning! Speaking of which, I really should help out Donatella with getting Trish ready for her first day of school, do you mind if I switch for a while?"

Diavolo was stunned. Doppio knew what he was. Doppio was aware of the disorder plaguing their shared minds... and he called him Solido, instead of Boss.

"Doppio! What is going on? Please tell me you weren't able to feel all of that endless pain and suffering..."

"Solido... are you alright? If you want to retreat inside for a bit that might calm you down..."

"Doppio! What is this? Do you not remember anything? Passione, Bucciarati's Gang, Risotto, anything?"

"Solido... what are you talking about? What is Passione?"

Diavolo, or, "Solido" finally understood. Giorno had shown mercy. After all these years, he released Golden Experience Requiem's ability, and let Solido have another chance at being a real human being.

"He must have created a new scenario, or sent me to another timeline, where I can live a happy life with Donatella and Trish, and Doppio too..."

He cried tears of joy. Genuine happiness, the only feeling of gratitude he had ever had before. Solido got out of bed and got dressed. He put on a dark purple sweater and brushed his unexpectedly short, pink hair. He opened the bedroom door to see his daughter waiting for him. She appeared to be around 6 years old.

"Daddy!" Solido crouched down to let Trish hug him. Secretly, he shed a tear. This was the first time anyone had ever embraced him since he was with Donatella in the past world. Being a father was a new experience for him, one that he would soon grow accustomed to. 

To be continued...