I'm not sure I believe in miracles, and Inez's story leaves a lot to be desired in the way of details. I'd like to press her for more, but it's not my place. I can't help asking one question, though.

"You didn't see anyone else out there, did you? On your way back to the lodge?"

She looks up at me and shakes her head. "I came to standing on the porch," she says. "Didn't see a thing. Why? More folks ain't missing, are they?"

Maria and the other Walkers exchange looks.

"We'll give you some space," I say, gesturing to Carlos and Sam. "Let you catch up. I'm glad you're alright, Ms. Walker," I add, nodding at Inez. "Perhaps tomorrow we'll have some time to talk."

"I'd like that." Her face crinkles with a smile, and then she turns her attention back to her family while the rest of us retreat.

~✬~

I keep my eyes on Sam as we ascend the stairs to our new room. I've barely looked away all night—even the surprise appearance of Inez hardly interrupting my vigilance.

I almost lost him today. I came close enough to know what it would have felt like if I had, and I never want to feel that way again.

We pause at our door. Carlos has a smaller room down the hall, and we bid him goodnight.

"Call Toni in the morning," I tell him. "Inez might be back, but somebody died in that car. Maybe it wasn't our business to begin with, but I have a feeling it's our business now, and I don't want to give the Walkers a chance to change their minds about calling in outside help."

Carlos nods in agreement. "I'll call her now," he says. "It's late, but she'll answer. After what happened today...I think I'm ready to hear her voice."

I pat his shoulder awkwardly. "Good man."

To my surprise, he reaches for Sam and draws both of us into a hug. "I'm glad you're okay, muchacho," he says, and kisses Sam on the side of the head. Then he smacks us both lightly on the backsides and winks. "Sleep well."

With that, he wanders off down the hall and disappears into his room.

"I think Carlos is lonely," Sam muses, watching him go.

"Hmm." I agree, but it's not a problem I'm willing to solve.

In our room, Sam retreats to the bathroom and I hear the sink running as he brushes his teeth.

"I wonder what happened to Inez?" he says when he emerges. "Maybe she was being held behind another barrier like the one that hid her car. Or maybe she was abducted by aliens. Do you believe in aliens, Ian? I think multiple dimensions is more likely, myself, having spent a lot of time in several demonic realms, but—"

I pull him to me gently, silencing him with a light kiss, just brushing my lips over his.  He looks up at me, dark eyes soft and wide.

The memory of how he'd looked lying in the water comes back to me and I shut my own eyes against it, drawing a breath that shudders in my chest.

"Hey," he says quietly, and I feel his hands on either side of my face. "I'm okay, Ian. I'm here—thanks to you."

I open my eyes and look down at him again. His expression is open and unguarded—that look I've seen a few times before—like he's offering me everything and holding nothing back. It still scares me. I feel like a clumsy brute being given something precious and breakable to hold; something I don't deserve to have. I also understand that I can't refuse it anymore.

"You're no good for me, Sam," I say shaking my head. "You know that right?"

He frowns, his pretty mouth dipping down at the corners just the slightest bit. I smooth my fingers over his pinched brows and smile.