The most frightened I have ever seen for a werewolf, the man took off his hat quickly and clutched it in front of him. Catching his breath, he started, "Alpha-"

Morpheus' jaw clenched, "I know."

"Alpha, I'm here to take you to the location-" Morpheus arms unwrapped to reveal me, a fun-sized snack, gobsmacked as I witnessed the situation unfold. The patrol guard's alarmed eyes snapped over to me, then back to Morpheus, and he stammered, "-oh Goddess. I am so sorry for interrupting your time with the Luna! This will not happen again, Alpha, I promise!"

"I understand. This is important." Morpheus removed me from his lap slowly, guilt and regret unavoidably pulled at his features while he frowned. Setting me down next to him once he stood up, and his attention was placed solely on me, he just about demanded, "You will stay here, okay?"

"No!" I exclaimed right away. Pressing my hands into his chest. My expression softened, and my voice weakened vulnerably as I began whispering to him with trembling, timid lips, "You can't leave me here, you can't. I won't do anything. I won't run. Please, I don't want any more doubt. I don't want to be left in the dark with you."

Morpheus bent down nearly to my height, becoming only a few inches taller, and nudged his cheek against mine. Speaking softly against the side of my ear, his words hushed, "I am sick of playing chase with you, and if you go as far as attempting to defy me once more, then you will not see the light of the sun until you learn to behave properly. It is not safe. I want you to stay here."

The hurtful remarks shot at my heart, leaving a lasting sting. "I want to go. Please, I need to go with you."

Morpheus grabbed both sides of my face in his rough to the touch hands. "You do not exactly have a good reputation for listening, and I would be devastated if something happened to you because I willingly took you to a dangerous area."

"But, you'll be with me! Right? You'll be there, and so will he!" I pointed my finger towards the poor man standing in the door, wobbling in his boots. The look of fear washed over his face as he eyed the tip of my finger intensely. "And, there must be more guards if it's as dangerous as you're claiming."

"Okay." Morpheus searched my eyes, and I stared back at him without looking away, not even blinking once. Not once! His teeth chomped together as he warned, "You will listen to every word that I say, or else I will make my threat come true the very second you decide to go against me. I am letting you go, and not because I trust you to stay, but because I know you are smarter than your past actions. Do you understand, Emery?"

"Aye, aye, Captain!" I squealed, throwing my arms around him and I started to jump excitedly.

The bottoms of my feet lifted up from the floor as Morpheus straightened to his full, intimidating height and I continued clutching him. My feet tapped the ground when I let go, and he grabbed my hand instantly, pulling me with him. And, off we went! Morpheus tugged me out the door, dragging me behind him as the guard lead us the whole way there. Although, the twitching of Morpheus' nose and the curling of his lip gave away the fact that he could already detect the area we were heading to as soon as he stepped foot into the forest.

The trees surrounded us, the sky darkened as only pieces of light shined through the openings, and the dirt underneath my feet sunk slightly as I ran over it.

And, I admit, I was holding them back. Only a little bit, though. Okay, that might be pushing it.

My short legs pumped faster as I tried to match their speed, which still ended up being literally nothing compared to the way Morpheus would purposely throw the arm I was holding onto for dear life forward and take me with it. The term 'throw the dog a bone' fit perfectly. Of course, that only put me ahead of him for so long. A regular candy bar length separated us, really, if being honest. The three of us rushed out to the scene as fast as we could, some slower than others, and I realized halfway through the trip that Morpheus was practically carrying me there.