MTM.9

are you lonely?

The pack house seemed to wrap around me, caging me in as I walked through the familiar hallway. I've been here lots of times before, I told myself, but why does it feel so different?

Johnny took long strides as he talked his head off about vampires, and how they too had mates, but they liked to refer to them as their beloveds. He knows so much about something that's been long gone. His voice came in one ear and flew out the other, while my eyes locked onto anything that looked the same as it was in my dream, or memory?

My other hand, the one that wasn't sweating in Johnny's own hold, came up to grip onto the bottom of his shirt, pulling him back as I hesitantly, nervously whispered in a pitiful tone, "Please, stay close to me."

"Emery, is something wrong?" He asked, looking down at me, and nearly stopping his steps altogether, but I urged him to keep walking.

My mouth came open, my lips ready to spill whatever I was feeling, to let out a waterfall of words, but as I watched his face fall at the sight of me, I told myself, 'don't ruin this'.

Why are you scared?

"I-I'm okay," the lie slipped through my teeth like grains of sand, unsatisfying to chew and a sickening crunch, "it's just that you have a new room, can you believe it? After waiting all this time, you finally don't have a roommate."

He looked away, and quickened his pace. "Yeah, it's great," he mumbled.

A lump formed in the back of my throat, an uncomfortable ball of words that I desperately wanted to get out, to scream.

This feels different, it doesn't feel right.

Something in the air, it was a new feeling, a completely different aura of authority. The Alpha of this pack, one that held everyone's respect, but not as much in the controlling part, and he was never able to project this strong of a feeling that came off as threatening, protective even. That was it. Suddenly, it just clicked. He wasn't the Alpha anymore, but instead Morpheus was.

What did Viviana tell me? I asked myself, the wheels turning violently, almost breaking off in my head as I tried my hardest to remember something that she had told me long ago. How did the rest of the story go, how did the pack survive all this time without the true Alpha? I wish my mother were here.

Not paying attention to where I was going, I let Johnny guide me to his new room, which I assumed would be in the area where the unmated would stay. There were rooms for everyone.

Soon enough, Johnny stopped abruptly in front of a door, and he pulled out his keys before shoving the right one in the lock. Pushing the door open, he made hand movements towards the inside as he said, "Ladies first."

"Oh my, what a gentleman," I spoke as I batted my eyelashes and entered the room.

Johnny shut the door behind us while I scanned the area. The bed was made messily and seemingly in a rush. The few boxes that he even had packed were half opened with his clothes all over the floor, and objects were littered everywhere, covering the hardwood of the flooring.

Johnny came up behind me, wrapping his arms around me as he sighed, "Welcome to my new room."

"Well-" shrugging him off, "-isn't this messy?"