MTM.22

you're cracked

"Dad," I whispered, letting out a shaky breath of air. Thankfully, my heart started to slow down to a pace that I was comfortable with, it was no longer violently beating, no longer loud enough that I could hear it as though it was connected to a billion speakers. Even the bright lights seemed to dull down. "It's you."

I tried my hardest to hold in my tears of delight, relief sinking in.

He stood still, my dad slowly turning his head from side to side as he looked around. The hood still pulled over his head, it had loosened a bit, just enough to see the top of his light hair poking out. I noted that he was eyeing the corners the most, the ones he deemed 'the best hiding spots' when I was three and cheated at hide and go seek. After his examination, my dad's hand cautiously reached up to take hold of the frame, my weapon. I snuck in a peek at it to notice that it was occupying one of my elementary school pictures, back when I had straight-across bangs and tiny fake s'mores for earrings. All in all, very threatening. Watching my every move, he took it away, and I let him. "Emmy, do you see anyone else in the room? Is there someone in the house?" He questioned me carefully. Giving me this look, that 'you're cracked' look, it was easy to tell as a flicker of humour lit up his face and the edge of his lips tilted up. He was looking at me as though I had fifteen heads.

He thinks I'm crazy. Absolutely nuts.

Shaking my head, "No, Dad. I was just watching a scary movie, that's all." Before he could reply I hurled myself into his arms, the scent of lavender soap filling up my nostrils as I shoved my face into his chest. Holding back a cry of happiness, I wrapped my arms around him even tighter. Yes, he was oblivious most of the time, but he was my rock. And, I didn't care if he lived under one.

His arms went up to return my hug, his hand rubbing my back gently, soothingly. "Are you okay? That must have been a really scary movie. What was it, Over the Hedge?"

"Dad!" I sniffled, quiet laughter accompanying my words. His own hearty chuckle coming after mine. "That is not a scary movie."

"It's not my fault you were terrified of the bear."

"Everyone was terrified of the bear!"

"If they were a raccoon, sure."

"Quit bullying me," I said with a relaxed giggle. "You shouldn't make fun of your favourite daughter like this."

His hands moved to hold onto my arms, pushing me back a little in order to look at my face. Mom's twin, he always said. "You're my only daughter, Emmy. And, as much as I like this father-daughter bonding time, I have a job to get to."

My smile fell almost as fast as it came, "What? But, you never work at night."

"I know, but to make up for missing today I called in to take a night shift at the factory. I was just headed out there now." He nudged his chin towards the kitchen, "I left a note, but it seems like you don't need it now."

My heart dropped once again. Dread overcoming me at the thought of staying in the house alone. You've done it many times before, I reminded myself, but, everything is so different now. "Is there any way you can cancel? I mean, it's not like you need tonight, right? It's okay to skip a day. You can miss a day, it's just a day." My voice was frantic as I started to rush words out, talking without thinking. Pumping through my veins was nothing but pure fear, that and sadness or anger, both even. Whatever, I was a ball of emotions. "Please, don't leave me alone."