two

coop's pov
1:56 pm ; chateau

i parked ward's boat at the end of big johns dock. wheezie jumping out and followed big john and john b up to their house.

i tied the boat off and walked up the dock to the house as well. it was a nice place. like a cozy home for the two who lived there.

i looked at everything that came into my line of sight, like the two hammocks that were over to my left, and the random beer bottles here and there. there was also red solo cups scattered everywhere. it was definitely a party house when need be. i wonder if big john minded the parties john b threw.

i slowly walked up the porch stairs, opening the front door, which mind you squeaked so loud, but that didn't bother me. once inside i found big john already teaching wheezie how to cut the scales off the fish.

i used to do that with my dad. it was a father, daughter moment, as he put it. really it was just taking the scales off the fish, so it could be fried and eaten, it was a chore to say the least.

i glanced to my right and saw john b lounged on the couch, he looked sun burnt and worn out. long day in the sun i suppose.

i walked over to them and big john said, "you want to try?"

"oh no, i hate doing that. my dad used to make me do that until my fingers bled." i dramatically complained as i sat down on a stool and watched as they kept filleting the fish.

"you know, i never knew your dad, but from your stories, and all the things i have heard about him from your mom-" i interrupted him.

"rose,"

"rose, right. um, your dad sounds like he would be a pogue."

"oh yeah, most definitely, he was never high end, not to turn your dad down or anything," i said looking at wheezie and she just shrugged me off, "if him and rose were still together and we lived here, we would be on the cut. i mean, i would rather be on the cut than figure 8, everyone is so stuck up over there and for god sakes they all hate eachother."

"at least you can see it." big john said, moving to the sink to wash some fish blood from his hands.

"lexi doesn't even consider herself a kook, she says she is a pogue, just on vacation." wheezie said, cutting up the fish.

"is that so?" big john said, sitting across from me.

"i mean yeah, i don't come from money, and rose doesn't either, she likes to think she does, but she just got lucky."

my mother, rose, she married into money. she was never one to have the money she has now. why ward even married her? fuck if i knew.

"you know, you are a smart kid, and i like that. maybe you and john b could take a boat ride later and you could knock some sense into him. he thinks being a kook sounds better." big john chuckled looking over at his now, angry son.

"i don't want to be brought into this." john b mutter, starring at his dad.

"oh uh," i started not to sure what to say.

"come on, just the two of you, have a talk. i'm not saying become best friends, just talk, get to know eachother." big john poked.

"fine, but i'm not driving." john b said, harshly getting up from the couch and walking out of the house.

i turned and faced the two again, "yeah, he doesn't like me."

no, he's obviously so in love with you which is why he makes rude comments. of course he hates you, you're a kook. get a brain.

i thought.

"it's cause you're a kook." wheezie stated, shrugging her shoulders at her statement.

"i am not a kook." i slapped her on the arm.

big john chuckled, looking at me, "you definitely aren't."