Blue Belt Entry - Prisoner's Dilemma

Lane rolled over on her side, pulling the pillow over her head.

The tapping became more insistent, as was the voice from outside the window. "Lane!" it said. "Wake up!"

"Hmmm," Lane sighed, snuggling farther down under her covers.

There was the soft scraping of the window opening and Lane sat up like a shot. "Graham?" she said voice low.

"It's just me," he said, sticking his head through her open window.

Lane put her hand on her heart. "Graham, you scared me half to death." She swung her legs over to the side of the bed and then knelt by the window. "You can't be here, I'll get in trouble."

"Aww, don't you want some fun?" he asked. "You know, before you work yourself to death?"

"I can't do this anymore," Lane said. "If I get caught-"

"Have we ever?"

Lane ran her fingers through her hair. "No, but there's always a first. I could- I would lose my job. Then what would I do?"

Graham took her fidgeting hands. "We can be prison buddies."

Lane laughed and then looked at her clock on the nightstand, it's red numbers illuminating the tabletop. They read 1:37 am.

"What do you have in mind?" she finally said. Graham smiled, eyes shining in the moonlight. "Topher was arrested last week, you know."

Lane froze. "Yes..."

"He sent me a letter today that had his next plans in it. I just need your help."

"We can't get caught."

"We won't. Get dressed."

They met at her back door, Lane's hair held back in a messy bun. Black leather gloves stuck out of her jacket pocket.

"We need to go downtown," Graham said, taking her hand and leading her to his car. "That's where we'll pull it."

Lane nodded as she ducked into the car. They drove and Graham explained the plan quickly.

"The note was coded but it was really basic," he said. "There's a small alleyway behind the wall of Parker's Jewelry. Toph found out that the wall access the light."

"The light in what?"

Graham's smile widened. "The vault."

Lane laughed and clapped her hands together. "The Catalina Diamond's in town, being displayed. Is it there?"

"Hopefully," Graham said. "They might have already moved it. These plans are several weeks old."

Parking was easy downtown. There were hardly any cars out and no one was near the alleyway. Graham parked the car and reached into the backseat for the duffel bags.

"Got your mask?" he asked.

"Of course," Lane said. She looked up the road and her heart nearly stopped. A shadow unfolded itself from a dark sedan just up the road. Lane grabbed Graham's arm and said, voice low, "Look."

They watched in silence as the shadow made its way up the street and to the alley. It poked its head down it before turning around to face Graham's car.

"Hello," it said.

All of the tension left Graham's body and he exclaimed, "Topher?!"

"Buddy!" the shadow called. It came closer to the car and the man's grinning face became recognizable to Lane.