Chapter 1

SARAH:
I walk along the corridor next to my boyfriend, David, on our way to math. I slip my hand into his, his palm rough. We weave through the crowds of students as we all go our own ways. On these corridors, it's every man for himself. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I see a cardboard stand stacked with brochures in the hallway. About a dozen people stand around it.

"David, let's go look," I say to him, pointing towards the stand. Any excuse to get out of going to math. As I get closer to the stand, I read the title "The 2 Week Challenge" in bold letters.

I reach the stand, and grab a brochure from the rapidly decreasing stack in front of me.

It reads:
"The 2 Week Challenge. A challenge so difficult, 90% of people will not complete it. A challenge so physically demanding, injury-prone people should avoid reading this brochure. With no aid apart from rope, it is almost impossible to not give up, on the island you will be stranded on. But, the prize is extreme. If you complete this challenge, you will win $10,000 for a charity of your choice. Because this challenge is so difficult, we recommend people work in pairs. If one partner is injured or gives up, the other must do it alone, unless they also give up. All you have to do, is fend for yourself. Make your own food, find your own means of hydration, with only 500ml given to each pair per day. Tasks will be given to you to push your body to its limit. You may quit at any time, but you will receive no money for your chosen charity. You have been warned."

"Oh my God," I think to myself. "This is what I've been looking for." I always try to fundraise as much as possible for the forgotten animal rescue charities, but I only earn around $50 each time. This is different. This is insane money. As I think of all the animals I can help, I feel giddy with excitement.

When David finishes reading his brochure, he lifts his eyes and looks at me sternly. I smirk back at him.

"I'm doing it," I say.

"No, you're not," he says. His blue eyes still look kind, but his face is etched with seriousness. I stop smirking.

"Yes, I am," I say in a more serious tone. I cross my arms.

"Sarah, this is serious," he says, his voice cold. "This isn't one of your usual fundraisers like fasting for 2 days, this is big. You can't. I won't let you." I feel like punching him. Who does he think he is?

"Sorry to bother you, David," I snap. "But you are not the boss of me. I'm doing it."

"Sarah, think logically," he says, talking to me like I am a stubborn toddler. "You aren't strong, you're 17, and you would never kill an animal for food because you're vegetarian - vegan, actually - and your chosen charity will be an animal rescue charity! What are you going to eat? Leaves? Seriously? Get this idea out of your head." I hate his sarcasm. We never fight. Anger bubbles inside me, but I contain it.

"No," I say quietly, finishing the conversation with an abrupt end. Then, the bell rings, and we walk to math together in silence.
* * *
After school, I sit at my desk in my bedroom, twirling my hair absentmindedly. My History homework is strewn in front of me. I catch the glint of my iPhone in the corner of my eye, and try to resist temptation. In vain. I pick up my phone and click into Google immediately, deciding on the spur of the moment to research all about the 2 week challenge. I read posts from people who have completed it (a rare few) and who have given up. They aren't positive. Most needed medical attention as they were dehydrated or starving. I don't let the negative affect me. Of course there are going to be wimps participating, and of course it is going to be difficult. It is called a challenge. There is a constant comfort in my mind though, whenever I think of the bad things. I can give up at any time, and there will be medical attention waiting for me as soon as I do. No one has died doing this challenge. However, I can't rely on the fact that I can give up, because I would rather lose a limb than give up on this.

I begin researching when and where the challenge takes place. It takes place 8 weeks from now, on a mystery island. All participants have to meet in a hotel in LA, California, where we will be flown to our destination. It costs $300 to enter. I bite my lip at the figure. I have spent 2 months saving up $500 for an animal rescue charity, and right now I am at $375. To lose all that money I have worked so hard for would be awful.. But I need to do this. I have to.

I dial David's number and give him all the details, purposely talking so quickly that he can't get a word in edge ways. When I am finished, there is a short silence.

"Sarah, what did I tell you?" he says, and I can hear his anger through the phone. "You can't do it!" Why does he keep trying to stop me? Does he think I'm not capable? Anger courses through my veins.

"David, I can," I snap at him through the phone. "And I will. With or without you."

"Sarah, for God's sake, please think about-"

"Why are you fighting with me?!" I demand. "Why are you mad at me?! I'm trying to do something good, and I'm willing to even with the consequences, and you're just-"

"I'm mad because I care!" he shouts down the phone, and even though I am so angry with him right now, something inside me flutters. He cares. "I care about you, and I'm worried. Worried about what will happen, how you'll cope... I don't want you to get hurt." His voice is soft and deep. He sighs in exasperation.

"David, I'll be fine," I reassure him.

"Well, I'm doing it with you," he says. "It states that you have to do it in pairs, so I'm with you."

My heart warms. He would do that for me?

"David, you don't have to," I say softly.

"Yes, I do," he says. I can hear him smile through the phone.

My heart hammers in my chest and I just want to kiss him. "I'm going to sign us up now online!" I say eagerly. It's amazing how much talking to David can change my mood.