"No. I'm on my lunch break. Is everything okay?"

"He did it. He broke it off with Charlie. I told him everything too. He knows what Charlie's been up to,"

"That is exciting. So why don't you sound more enthused?"

"Annie and I talked beforehand and she asked how I would feel if Daniel did break it off with Charlie and I told her I didn't want to be a second choice and the last night when we were talking, I just kept feeling like if someone hadn't said something, Daniel would've kept seeing Charlie and he and I would've never had a chance. I want to give him a chance. I've liked him for months now, but I feel like he's only chosen me because I've outed Charlie,"

"That is quite the dilemma. Are you going to see him again any time soon?"

"He's going to lunch with his parents and he's invited me. I've already met them before, so it's not really like he's introducing me for the first time. Why do you ask?"

"Just curious. What has he said about Charlie? Is it completely done?"

"From what I understand, Daniel's kicking him out before tomorrow. I think Daniel had a wake-up call last night named Ken and Quinn. I think he's kinda realized that Charlie isn't the sweetheart he thought he was. Do you think I should give him a chance?"

"You keep asking me questions that I can't answer. Quinn, I am happy to call you a friend and help you sort through issues, but I can't answer questions about your feelings. Can I give you some small advice?"

"And what advice is that?"

"You said Daniel wanted to ask you to be in a contract before Charlie even came back. Sounds like to me, he was the second choice. Not you. Daniel just lost focus. Maybe you don't have to trust him right away or immediately go into a contract, but see how this lunch goes and go from there. Take it at your own pace, even if that pace is slow,"

"How do you always know what to say?"

Alex laughed, "It's my job. Let me know how lunch goes, okay? I gotta go and don't forget what I said,"

I hung up with Alex and sighed. I needed something small to eat before I did anything else. I didn't want to be starving at lunch, but I also didn't want to be full.

As I searched the cabinets for a small snack, I noticed a folded up piece of paper. I opened it and smiled as I recognized Daniel's handwriting.

Quinn,

Thanks for letting me stay the night. I promised you that I would start showing you that you aren't a second choice and I intend to keep it starting now.

Remember what I said. If you need me, for whatever reason, I will pick up the phone.

P.S. Peach is my new favorite smell :)

I ran my fingers over the letters and couldn't help the small grin on my face. I set the note back down and grabbed a protein bar from the cabinet.

I quickly showered, using the peach soap again. I wondered if Daniel would comment on it or if he would just let it go. I had never been to Cindy's Catfish Place, so I did a quick search of the menu and atmosphere before choosing what I was going to wear. I decided on a V-neck plain black shirt with a thin jacket over it with jeans. I left my hair down as it was nicer outside than it had been a while. I did grab a hair tie just in case though.

🖤

Daniel got out of the car as I stepped out of the building, "Hey, you look nice," he grinned and opened my door for me. My heart raced slightly and I blushed.