IV. Beaches

"Your friends seem nice!" Jack shouted over the wind and waves as we walked along the beach.

"They're an interesting group of people!" I shouted back. "They're so reserved and physically intimidating!"

"No kidding," Zara retorted. "All of them have resting-bitch face!"

"Well, tell me about your week!" I prompted, plopping myself into the sand. I dug my fingers into the cold, soft sand. Wet grains stuck against my skin.

"I made a new friend this week!" Jack revealed. "He's in the majority of my classes. We have a free period together; for the past several days, we've played football in the courtyard with some of his friends! They were shocked by my throwing arm," he chuckled.

"I met a couple of girls at lunch on our first day that I spent my week with. We went out for dinner last night and to a dance club after. They have so much energy. My feet and legs are sore today," Zara murmured.

"It sounds like y'all transitioned in smoothly," I offered.

"I feel like a normal teenager if you could believe that." Zara rolled her eyes.

"Come on, let's do something fun," Jack urged. "I'm bored."

"Wanna surf?" I suggested. Jack's eyes lit up.

"Do I!"

"I'll beat you there," I teased, jumping up.

"Not if I have anything to say about it!" Zara yelled, shoving both of us back to get a head-start. I rolled my jeans halfway up my calves while Jack chased her. I then sprinted after them, attempting to catch up. As I reached the surf, I hurdled from the solid sand to the oceanwater. As my feet made contact with the icy saltwater, they did not sink. The water chilled my skin. I ran after my friends, who were about seven feet in front of me. I observed the waves; if I lost concentration, I would crash into the rolling water and be drug underneath the current.

As I approached the first wave, I vaulted forward, as if I were long-jumping in a track competition. My body lifted into the air, clearing the peak of the wake by approximately four inches. I pushed my body forward, trying to close the distance between my friends. As the second wave came, I vaulted again without slowing down.

I cleared the third wave and came to a sudden halt in front of my friends, who waited for me with impatient expressions as revenge for my win earlier in the week.

"It's about time you arrived," Jack teased. "I could feel my body aging."

"Oh, whatever," I sneered.

"I didn't come out here to stand and wait around," Zara interrupted, positioning herself for the next waves to roll through.

I jogged several feet away from my friends for safety. I knelt onto the water and held my hands out from my body. Light began spreading in thin lines around me, forming a small surf-board. I glanced up to see Jack sail forward on the wave. To a bystander, it would appear as though he were riding the water into the shore.

Zara flew forward seconds later. I glanced behind me to see the water receding and waves form. I arched my back up so I could rise into a standing position. The wave rolled up behind me, and my 'surf-board' lurched forward with the tide. I stood up, digging my heels into the water to pivot to the right. Water flew up in front of me as I jolted the current. Water droplets from the peak of the wave sprayed forward onto my face.

"Woohoo!" I hollered, spreading my arms out. Zara and Jack cheered from the shore as I approached. I rushed in toward the beach, and when the water became shallow, I jumped forward and ran to the shoreline.