chapter 21

David 

Shortly after that Grace fell asleep in my arms. we still sat on the side of the road in the break down lane. i didnt want to go. i wanted to freeze the clock and hold her there forever. But then we started to get strange looks from the drivers that were passing by and i decided that we had to go. 

I lightly lifted her onto her seat where she continued to snooze peacefully. Her scary mental hour was over and hopefully when she awoke she would be better and normal. I smiled that she let me call her, her girl. Even if she was having a mental break down.  

"love you..." she mumbled in her sleep. a sleep talker. i found myself listening to her and hoping she would say my name. come on grace, say it. "evan" she smiled and shifted in her seat.  

Dammit. thats exactly the opposite of what i wanted. i moved the stick shift of the old car into drive and sped off to my dinky apartment.  

My apartment. Geez. I was saving up for a new one and hopefully grace will want to come after I move out and not just leave me. I think I knew that that was very unlikely. Was it to gross for her? Once she had enough money would she get out?  

I knew that waiters made much more than bus boys. How about Colby my boss? Her ex? What the heck. I officially hated him because he made hers nervous and do that to her hair.  

She mumbled more gush about Evan and I tried not to pound the steering wheel. Instead I hummed that god awful song that would supposedly make grace want to be with me.  

So far it just made her agitated. I took the exit and suddenly the big sign that said welcome to Massachusetts! Came into view. If only there was one of those to graces lips.  

What? That's weird. I scolded myself and dragged my attention back to the road. I can't believe I left my paints back there. Believe it or not, they're expensive. And I barely used any of them. By the time I got back there they would either be rained out or tipped over. Dammit.  

Finally with what seemed to be hours which was only fifteen minutes. I had pulled into the parking area by the hotel.  

I saw Jonny sitting outside with the rest of the gang smoking cigarettes. When they saw grace, they would be alloyed her in a second with her new hair style and makeup. I gently pushed grace awake. She mumbled then smiled at me.  

"hi" she stretched and I tried not to stare at a rip in her dress that showed the whole bottom half of her stomach. "god I can't wait to change out of this thing" she smiled bigger at me. I breathed out. She's okay.  

Then without warning she was outside and walking towards Jonny. I could already sense the whistles when I started to jog after her.  

I caught up to her. "ay davey boy!" Jonny stood up and looked only at graces chest. "where did you find me a girl?" he smiled for a second up at grace then went back down to her chest. He sucked on the cigarete butt in his mouth.  

I glanced at grace who looked like she was about to tear him to shreads and then burn the pieces. "she's not for you" I said loudly. The rest of the gang snickered and whistled at grace and I. I heard a low growl rip from the bottom of her throat. I held her hand in mine.  

Jonnys blood shot eyes looked up at me " then who she for?" he didnt even notice when grace took a warning step towards him.  

"David" her voice ring confident and sure in the parking place. I looked at her wide eyed then decided it might be smart to play Along.  

"you got this?" Jonny took a step closer to grace and another until he had sauntered over and he was right in her face.  

"she's not a this. She's a person" I growled.