"This is my fucking favourite jacket!" She screamed into the darkness as she swept her crowbar in a wide arc around her, her eyes fixed on the impenetrable darkness that concealed the angry spirit. Warily, she stepped away from the wall, her free hand blindly feeling in front of her as she held the bar out defensively with the other; "C'mon, give me something to hit you son of a-"

The deafening crack of a gunshot filled the chamber, just as something slammed into her chest with enough force to knock the air from her lungs and send her staggering back into the wall with a cry of pain, her crowbar falling from her hand.

"Ali?"

"What the hell Dean?" She wheezed at the sound of his voice that broke through the ringing in her ears, the distinctive taste of rock salt on her lips and the scent of gunpowder in the air explaining what had happened clearly enough, "You fucking shot me!"

"Shit- sorry!" He yelled up from where he was stood in the chamber below, squinting through the darkness to try and pick her out, "I just heard something move, thought you were our guy."

"Right." She coughed heavily as she rubbed her undoubtably bruised chest, dropping to her knees as she blindly groped her way across the ground in search of her dropped weapon. "You got a light? I can't see shit-"

For the second time in the space of a minute, she was cut off mid-sentence, this time by her head being roughly jerked back as a clammy hand fisted in her hair. A scream of pain was pulled from her lips as she was thrown back against the rock wall, faintly hearing the sound of Dean yelling her name over the sounds of frantic knocking and the panting of foul breath in her face. Frantically she kicked out, yelping as a heavy boot stamped down on her leg to pin her down, her eyes blindly staring up into the blackness, though she could have sworn she saw the glint of a pickaxe being raised in the darkness.

"Knew the Winchester's would be the death of me." She hissed under her breath, cringing back against the wall as she waited for the blade to drop.

Except it didn't.

A gut-wrenching roar of agony ripped through the crushing darkness, and suddenly Ali was blinded by a flash of fire. Throwing her arm over her eyes, she just managed to glimpse the outlined figure of the miner before he was engulfed in flame, the bright image seared into her eyes long after he had vanished and the blackness of the mine rushed back.

A breathless, pained laugh escaped her as she slumped back against the wall, content to sit there on the cold stone ground as she listened to the frantic knocking calm to a gentle tapping, before fading completely.

"Yes Sammy!" Dean whooped from below, reassured at the wheezing laugh he heard above him, "Ali? You good?"

"I took a round of rock salt to the chest Dean, what do you think?" He heard her groan wearily as he turned to see the faint light of Sam's flashlight beginning to fill the chamber as he scrambled out of the tunnel, coughing as he waved a hand to clear the smoke that had followed him.

"Is she okay?" Sam called as he dashed back into the chamber, shining the beam of light up through the hole in the boards above them.

"Would have been more okay if you'd been about two minutes quicker." The answering mutter was enough to pull a smile to his lips as above them, Ali hauled herself to her feet, rubbing her aching chest with a pained grimace. As she stepped into the light, she smiled wryly down at them, "I should leave your two useless asses down there."

"Useless? We torched the sucker!" Dean laughed as she raised an eyebrow.

"You shot me in the chest."