Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The beautiful thing about college towns was that there was an abundance of free WiFi – every café and dive bar alike vying for custom had their password proudly chalked up on the wall, desperately trying to outwit the place next door. Tonight's haunt went by 'The LAN Before Time' – although Ali's laptop was picking up a stronger signal from 'LAN-Solo' next door. She appreciated the Star Wars pun slightly more anyway.

Regardless, both were better options than the $5 for two hours of connection her motel was offering. That and she had figured she had better steer clear of the place after dropping her 'anonymous' tip about a fire out in the woods from the payphone outside as soon as she got back to town. Once the police discovered the bag full of dead girl's clothes at the roadside, they'd be looking to track down whoever had left the tip, and the motel would be the first place they looked.

So, the noisy hum of a bar on a Friday night seemed preferable to getting stuck in the middle of a murder inquiry. Running her finger lazily around the rim of her half-empty beer bottle, Ali pursed her lips as she stared down at the laptop screen. Tucked away in a corner booth, it was easy to block out the clamour of drunk students and the poor jukebox selections that came after midnight – her blood was still singing loudly enough in her ears after the thrill of the successful hunt to drown it out anyway.

Firing off a few emails to her contacts under various addresses, she half-heartedly began scrolling through the local news reports, idly searching for the next lead, the next hunt. Anything to fill the time.

Outside the bar, there was a gentle whine of brakes as a car pulled up in the small lot. Sam raised an eyebrow at his brother as Dean kept his hands locked on the wheel, his green gaze locked on the graffitied dumpster they had parked in front of.

"Let it rest, Dean – someone got there ahead of us, so what?"

"I don't like getting beat." His older brother gritted out through his teeth, his knuckles momentarily whitening as he tightened his hold on the wheel before releasing it with a sigh.

"Hunting isn't a competition."

"Yeah but I still wanna be the best." He flashed Sam a cocky smile, even as he heard the logic in his brother's words.

"Whatever you say, I'm not going to look a dead vamp in the mouth." Sam laughed as he swung open the passenger door of the Impala and climbed out.

"That's a shit pun and you know it Sammy." Dean chuckled as he followed, continuing the conversation over the roof of the car as he locked the driver's door, "You're buying the first round for that."

"Whatever..." His brother laughed, looking as if he was about to make some snarky remark but frowning as something across the parking lot caught his eye. "Hey is that...?"

Dean turned to follow Sam's gaze, his expression falling into a frown that matched his brother's as his eyes landed on the tan Jeep. "Looks like it." He confirmed with a nod, his hand subconsciously drifting to check his pistol was still safely stowed down the back of his jeans. It was the car that had already been parked outside the vampire's lair, the car that he had seen the 'cop' walk towards as they had driven away.