golden coins

29th March, year 3

'If you want to follow me around, you've got to learn to defend yourself. I'm not your fucking bodyguard' - Geralt made one of his scary faces as he was scoulding the once again hurt bard. 'You either learn to handle a sword or you are not to stay with me any longer.'
'I'm a man of art, not violence' - said Jaskier with a provoking grin. Despite his wounds, he still had enough energy to irritate Geralt. Considering the amount of blood he's lost, it was quite impressive. 'Also, I'm not carrying around a heavy, ugly, bloody piece of metal.' - Jaskier continued. 'You look handsome with a weapon, but that's an exception I was never expecting to see.'
'Alright then, but I don't know how are you going to write anything about the next monster I kill. Good luck on creating that poetry of yours.' - said Geralt, once again questioning why does he even bother talking to the bard. Normally he'd just walk away, but it was not that easy with Jaskier around. The Witcher supposed he's gotten used to the company.

The men stared at each other for an intense moment, before Jaskier said:
'Fine, but I want it to be golden.'
'What?'
'My sword. I want it golden.'
'Ah, fuck...' - sighed the Witcher under his breath. There was no doubt Jaskier knows nothing about weapons. 'You cannot have a golden sword. It'll break. Silver would be better.'
'I don't like silver. Gold is so much better - golden coins, golden crowns, your golden eyes... These are all beautiful things. In fact the only silver I ever found truly magnificent is your hair.' - the bard smiled at his companion, but Geralt decided to ignore yet another mention of his features. He didn't know why Jaskier was always like this. Maybe he was trying to make Geralt feel better about all the things he didn't really appreciate in himself? The Witcher didn't know, but this behaviour was homehow getting less terrible.

'Listen, gold is too soft to make a sword out of it. You can have silver, it'll protect you from monsters.' - Geralt tried again, but Jaskier still didn't look quite convinced. 'Hmm... What if I told you I can give you a gilded one?'
'Maybe...'
'With some ornaments?' - Geralt really couldn't believe he was negotiating like that with a bard, but somehow he cared about him enough to make sure he'll like the weapon.
'I'll admit it, this does sound better now.'
'And what about some gemstones? You can pick any color you think will suit you.'
'Now you are speaking my language!' - Jaskier smiled, already imagining the sword he was going to have. 'One more request.'
'Ugh, what is it now?'
'I want some private training sessions from you' - the bard's smile grew wider when he saw a hint of pink on Geralt's face. Maybe learning to fight won't be that bad after all?

484 words, 13.05.2020