Chapter XVI

CHAPTER XVI: As Silently As The Wind

Liuyun laughed and looked at her with his devilishly enchanting eyes. The hand which let her go travelled towards her neck and delicate fingers gripped her, squeezing lightly; not enough to hurt her in any way but enough for her to know that he had a hold on her and anything was possible.

"Girl, you're something else. Aren't you afraid of offending this king? Are you courageous or stupid? Don't you know that in this country, attacking an expert with an spiritual talent level over the fifth step could get you killed? You have already been sentenced to death, do you understand that?"

Nian tensed up and swallowed harshly.

So in this world the law of nature trumped over everything else, 'the weak would suffer and the strong will be privileged'.

Liuyun had just given her a harsh reality check about the world she lived in. As a weak person, she had no voice. If Liuyun wanted to violate her, fighting back could get her killed.

All she could do was bite her tongue and bare with it.

Liuyun softly stroked the skin of her neck with his thumb. She may not know it but he wasn't going to hurt her. He would never mistreat her. She'd suffered enough in life and he wanted to be the one to take her pain away.

"This king is not that type of person." Liuyun guessed where her thoughts were going and he instantly cleared it up. "As you said before, this king has a taboo for women."

"But you're touching me." Nian blurted out before her brain could process her words.

"This king thinks you're different. It's okay for you to touch this king as you please."

Nian looked at him in shook. Was he being serious?

Liuyun released her wrist but continued to softly stroke her neck. "Tell me something, girl. If this king told you that he could solve all of your problems, would you believe me?"

Believe him? How could she?

No one could solve her problems. She was useless and talentless. How could someone solve that problem?

"No I won't." Her honest answer caused a streak of hurt to flash through Liuyun's orbs, but as quick as it had appeared, it was swallowed into the depths of devilish charm.

"Are you sure?"

"Positive."

Liuyun remained silent. He seemed to be drifting off into his thoughts but an angry and murderous look suddenly showed up on his face.

The change was so fast, that even for someone like Nian, who could be calm even in the face of death, fear prickled the heart.

What happened?

Why was he suddenly so angry?

At the moment, Liuyun looked like a devil that was one step away from breaking down the gates of hell and unleashing chaos. He quickly grabbed her hand and roughly tugged it closer to his face, his grey eyes blazing with murderous intent.

His action caused Nian to wince. Her body was fragile and from her escapde the previous night, her limbs were tender and he small cuts and bruises were still sensitive.

Qing had done a great job that morning in covering them with make-up, not even the Emperor noticed, but after she had taken a bath, she didn't think to cover them up.

Why would she? She wasn't expecting any company and Liuyun had showed up out of the blue.

Liuyun's senses were sharp and with the majority of meridians in his eye opened, even without the use of the Sky Eye, his eyes were as sharp as an eagle's, very little to almost nothing could escape his sight.

"Girl, who dared to put their hands on you?" His voice was cold and filled with anger but he didn't shout or raise his voice at her. "Tell this king immediately."

Nian shook her head. She didn't want to get him involved. "It was nothing."

A demonic darkness appeared in Liuyun's eyes and his grip on her hand tightened. "What do you mean 'nothing'? Girl, are you covered in bruises?"

Liuyun knew that the girl had suffered a hard life. But if someone actually had the audacity to lay hands on his woman...

"I said it was nothing!" Nian snapped back defensively. "Leave me alone."

Liuyun may have been nice to her but she didn't trust him. She didn't trust anyone apart from Qing for that matter. How could she when everyone she knew either took advantage of her or mistreated her?

Angrily she yanked her hand out of his hold and sat up, using as much force as her sickly body could conjure to push him away and stand up.

"I think it's time you leave."

Her words were as sharp as the blade of a sword. Liuyun wanted to grab a hold of her and shake her until she told him the truth but he refrained. Force wasn't going to make his job of chasing her any easier.

Her struggles had unknowingly made her into a strong person and if he tried to corner her, he'd be on the receiving end of her temper.

Reluctantly he stood up. Nian had turned her back on him but she was aware of his height as she could feel him towering over her. He was at least six feet with an inch or two while she was forever struggling to get past the five feet, four inches mark.

The wind was gentle and since she hadn't gone far, she could feel the strands of his long hair gently brush against her skin. The scent of orange and pine was stronger than before.

She heard him take a cautious step forward before he stilled. For a split second, he was motionless behind her and her heart started to thump furiously in her chest. Just when she thought he was going to grab her and pull her into his chest, she felt a rush of cold breeze.

She quickly whirled around but was met with emptiness. The place where he once stood was empty. His scent had disappeared just as quickly as he did. There was no evidence that he had been with her, not even a shadow.

He was gone...

As silently as the wind...

Without a single trace or direction...

And she felt strangely empty.