Chapter 8

Maddy and Simon raced down the hall to the kitchen, ignoring the screaming portraits behind them. They met up with Ginny and Darienne in the doorway, Ginny donning a pained expression on her face, covering her ears.

Darienne looked like some odd combination of confused and distressed. Ginny says that the portrait is screaming.

A deafening screech is heard down the hallway, and Maddy and Simon quickly cover their ears. Maddy nodded towards Darienne, to show that that is indeed what happened.

Hermione and Ron ran in, and they heard Sirius shout something incoherent, and Maddy slowly lowered her hands. "I hope they find that reverse spell soon," commented Hermione as they went and sat down at the table.

Mr. Weasley and Bill were there, talking quietly at the end of the table, which was filled with parchments. Maddy tried to discreetly read the parchment, but her father, who entered behind them, spun her around, clearly aware of her intentions.

"That's not for you to know, Maddy," he knelt down so he was eye level with her.

Maddy glared at him, and bit her bottom lip. How's not knowing anything going to help me? If I'm going to die, I at least want to know who's going to kill me. As much as it pains you to think about, being a half-breed is like having a huge target on my back screaming KILL ME! Dad, knowledge is power, you have always told me that. Sometimes keeping someone in the dark will lead to their demise.

Remus looked pained. "I know that, Madeline. Trust me, I do. But you still are only eleven. Some of these topics aren't for you to know. All you do need to know is that you need to be careful about who you trust. I know Voldemort has werewolves as followers, so hopefully it won't be too bad."

Maddy nodded, slightly dissatisfied, as Remus stood up. Fine. She grumbled, turning around to see Mundungus Fletcher stowing a pipe away, disgruntled.

"He's not the politest, is he?" whispered Remus to his daughter. "Even Sirius knows to wait until after we eat to smoke."

Maddy looked at Sirius, who was sitting leaning back on his chair. I've never seen him smoke since I've been here.

Remus smiled, "That's because he knows better."

Dad, did you smoke?

Remus regarded her, before nodding. "I did. I stopped right around when you were born."

Isn't it bad for you? Maddy inquired.

Remus nodded, "It is. I don't see a need to bring up my smoking habits right now. How about you see if Molly needs any help with setting the table.

Maddy gave him a curious look, but made her way to Mrs. Weasley, who was stirring a cauldron of stew. There was a second cauldron next to it, and knives were chopping meat and vegetables by themselves.

Maddy clapped, and Mrs. Weasley turned around. "What is it, dear?"

I was wondering what you needed help with.

Mrs. Weasley looked around the room. "Would you mind helping me with the cooking? And what would you like in your stew?" She pointed to the smaller cauldron, which Maddy noted was most likely a vegetarian stew.

Just throw vegetables in there, and I'll be fine. You didn't have to make me something, you know? I could've just had a sandwich.

"Oh no, dear. You can't live off of just sandwiches. If I can cook for everyone, then I can cook for you." Mrs. Weasley pointed her spoon at some freshly diced carrots. "Would you mind putting those in yours?"