Epilogue

Maddy woke up earlier than the sun, and was dressed and ready to go before Remus had even awoken. He found her in a violet pinafore with a white shirt beneath it, finished off with her combat boots. She had her leather jacket on her lap, not on because of the summer heat. She had turned twelve the week before, and the day was rather melancholy. She wished Sirius could've been there, Simon, Allie, Sam, Polly, Sam, and Dari too, even Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Ginny. All she did was eat a cake with her dad and granddad.

It was fine, but today, her father and her were picking up Simon and Dari to go get their Hogwarts stuff. Darienne got her letter early in July, something Maddy knew because she got a letter in all caps stating: I GOT MY HOGWARTS LETTER MADDY! I'M GOING TO HOGWARTS WITH YOU AND SIMON! I'M SO EXCITED.

"Looks like someone's ready to go," Remus said.

What time did you tell the Orphanage we're going?

"I said we'd have Simon and Dari from eight to eight, so we should get going. I'm going to apparate us there and we'll take the Knight Bus to Diagon Alley."

Make sure you have a bag for Simon.

Remus chuckled, "I do. Alright, let's go."

Remus grabbed Maddy's wrist and apparated them to a field behind Ophelia's.

■□~□■

Maddy was tackled in a hug by both Simon and Darienne when they picked them up, and Simon did, indeed, get bus sick on the ride to Diagon Alley.

They ate breakfast in the Leaky Cauldron before moving to Gringotts.

"Can we see Fred and George?" Dari asked after they had collected their money.

"Oh, I haven't seen Weasleys Wizard Wheezes yet!" Simon exclaimed.

Remus smiled, "Of course. Just don't try and buy out the store." Maddy had inherited a large sum of money from Sirius, and Remus already had to keep his daughter's spending habits in check. In her defence, this was the first time Maddy had money. She grew up so dirt poor that the idea of having money was so fabricated that she needed to reign back. Remus knew this, and often would turn a blind eye to the sweets Maddy tossed into the shopping trolley when they went food shopping.

Weasleys Wizard Wheezes was full, something Maddy was ecstatic about. The three kids gave Fred and George hugs as they were greeted by the door.

"Simon, we have something for you," George said, holding out his hand for Simon to take. Maddy followed the two, while Dari gravitated towards the pygmy puffs. Maddy was more curious about what the twins had made specific for Simon.

"Haven't sold one yet, wanted to give you one before we sold them," George was saying, "Wait here."

What do you think it is? asked Maddy. Simon shrugged but didn't reply until George returned with a little black device in his hands. It looked like a headband.

"Try this on," George instructed, "Make sure you cover your ears."

Simon put them on. "Can you hear me?" George asked.

"Yes," Simon said.

Suddenly, a firework was set off. Maddy covered her ears. However, next to her, Simon looked unaffected, which was a surprise, because he normally had a problem with loud, sudden noises.

"They cancel loud noises. Maddy mentioned that you have a problem with explosions. You can wear them when you're doing potions, and if someone talks, you'll be able to hear them, but if someone explodes a cauldron, you won't be able to hear it. I set off a firework, did you hear that?"

"Wow," mumbled Simon, "No, I didn't."

That's awesome! Maddy signed.

"How much does it cost?" Simon asked.

"Free of charge, Simon. Got to give my pranking partner something, don't I?"

"Woah," Simon smiled and tackled George in a hug. "Thanks, George! Thank Fred for me too!"

"It's my pleasure, Simon. Now go take a look. You two need to keep mine and George's legacy."

Maddy saluted and the two went to look around the shelves.

■□~□■

After Weasleys Wizard Wheezes, they want Ollivanders, then Madam Malkins, then Flourish and Blotts. Even though Maddy wasn't getting a wand herself, she and Simon watched in fascination as Darienne tried wand after wand. Her wand was Apple Wood, Phoenix Feather Core, 11 inches. She held it close to her, a smile on her face that Maddy knew she had the year before.

Both Maddy and Simon needed new robes, but they let Dari go first. During her fitting, she made quick friends with a small girl with tanned skin, glasses, and braces. The two came out yapping like they'd known each other their whole lives. Dari had even begun to teach the girl sign before her mother whisked her away.

Maddy convinced her dad in Flourish and Blotts to let her buy a new book on Boggarts in addition to her textbooks, and Simon managed to snag an extra potions book. They stopped for lunch before going to a few more stores: Quality Quidditch supply amongst them so Maddy could get some spare equipment.

The last store they visited was the Eeylops Owl Emporium. Maddy decided that she'd buy a pet this year, and after a stern talk with her father about the fact that, "Animals are living creatures, Maddy, you need to take care of them." Neither Simon nor Dari were getting pets, and the two stuck at Maddy's side, though for Simon that was mainly to avoid the bat in the corner.

"What animal do you want, Maddy?" asked Simon examining a row of screech owls before turning to face Maddy to see her response.

Probably a cat, Maddy signed, her eyes glancing over the many types of cats. Owls are useful, but I don't think I want my own. Toads jump too much, I hate rats, Harry would be able to talk to a snake and spill all my secrets, and you'd kill me if I got a bat.

"I would," said Simon.

Dad, Maddy signed, but Remus hadn't been looking at her. It wasn't until Simon called his name that he looked.

"Sorry, Maddy, did you choose?"

Maddy nodded and pointed to a pure black cat that was curled up in a ball in the corner. The pure black coat reminded her of a different animal that was also pure black.

When the cat was bought and they were heading towards the Leaky Cauldron for dinner, Remus took the carrier from Maddy so he could ask, "What are you going to name him?"

Maddy looked at the cat's pink nose poke through the carrier.

His name's Padfoot.