Chapter Five

Cosette was left speechless, but found the sense to stand up and flee as soon as possible. She stood on her knees, and then on her feet, and slowly took one step at a time backwards.

The man was still there, not moving an inch. "Well," He spoke. "I'm not that good with introductions. So you might as well go first." He patiently waited for an answer.

"Who--" Cosette was now walking backwards, eyeing every possible way of escape. "Who are you?"

"I, m' lady," He says. "Is Jack, the mighty servant of the Ringmaster." He placed his sword in his scabbard and bowed.

"Who's the Ringmaster?"

He shifted his weight on his right foot and said, "At this point I'm not really too sure if I should tell you." He placed his hands on his waist. "Let's go."

"What? Why? I don't know you," Cosette exclaimed and moved farther away.

"As far as I know, I made my introductions properly," He says. "I even bowed before you." Jack let out a scoff.

"I mean personally!"

Jack flashed a smile.

He walked slowly towards Cosette, not removing her gaze from her. The young lady stood frozen in place, afraid to do anything. Jack was now only inches away. "Now, you, whoever you are, are going with me," He says. "C'mon, I'm no gentleman, I can drag you forcefully if you would not cooperate willingly. And besides, your scent ticks me off." He sniffed her a bit and snatched her arm.

Cosette stood taller. "Excuse me!" She removed her arm from his grip and placed her hands on her waist. Standing not far from Jack gave her a good long look at the man. His trousers were a shade of brown and was hugged by black, knee- high boots. His light brown hair cascaded beside his face, and his hair line too high for anyone's liking. A black waistcoat hugged his waist perfectly.

"What is exactly wrong with my scent?" Cosette shifted her weight from one to the other, completely embarassed. Jane Meredith often reprimanded her for the same topic. A lady should always be well- groomed, whatever her clothes are, and whatever her chores are. For God's sake, Cosette, fix your hair! She played the scene of her aunt sitting there with her knitting equipments as she say those exact words. In Cosette's defense, a lady could choose what she wants herself to look like if she has the same situation as her; with no social life and no breeding. Barely goes out and barely sees any human being.

"Nothing, really," Jack confessed.

Cosette was utterly confused.

What is wrong with this man?

"Are we just going to stand here until eternity?" Jack made no action, but remained stiff at his position. Cosette leveled his gaze and said no reply.

Here's the chance! I could run back! Or maybe lose him in the maze!

Cosette's thoughts ran wild inside her head. I should run.

Cosette planted her feet on the ground for a good head start and sprinted away as fast as she can to the direction she and the pixie came from moments ago. Her feet did not have the time to get tired, fueled by the hope of escape.

Meanwhile, Jack stood there, tapping his foot impatiently on the soil with his hands on his waist. Her white dress swinging as her small feet took her away, she was not that far yet, but Jack's growing tired of the long day he consumed in travelling just to get here.He threw his head back in frustration and pinched the bridge of his nose. Jack inhaled deeply, trying to cool his head, and exhaled. "Alright!" He said in annoyance. He bent down to sniff the grass by his feet and caught her scent. "Ugh." Jack stood up, not wanting to smell more of her human scent.

Jack folded his tongue, inserted two fingers in his mouth, and let out a loud whistle. "Julio!" He cupped his hands over his mouth to call his black stallion.

The horse galloped towards its master. Jack patted its head and smoothed its hair. "We got a human to catch, my friend."

Shadows now played the grounds of the maze, leaves flew past Cosette as the evening creeps by. Her heart pounded loud at her chest. Sweat ran down her back and beads appeared on her temple.

She was hoping she had lost him. But she wasn't that far away, she has decided to run again, so as to add distance between them. Cosette turned her head from left to right, checking for any signs of Jack. The moon now shines through the vines. Silver rays adored the walls and made an eerie, yet beautiful effect to the surroundings.

Cosette closed her eyes, trying to still her breath. "One," she counted. "Two." she pushed herself against the wall. "Three." she made her hands into fists and ran.

"We're almost near her, Julio," Jack said. He squinted his eyes to see better in the dark. His long, light brown hair flows against the wind at his back. His face cold and stiff with the bitter wind welcoming him.

"There she is!" Jack pointed at her. "Okay boy, still your legs," he said to his horse, Julio.

The distance was closing in, she still had time to look at her back with one swift movement and ran faster. "This lady can sure run!" Jack exclaimed. "But no one can beat you, my boy," he cooed his horse and Julio neighed in reply.

The horse continued to gallop, its hooves digging hard into the ground. Cosette kept on running as well, seeing a path to the right like a light at the end of a tunnel. She could never outrun a horse! But maybe, just maybe, she could outsmart it. Large creatures find it difficult to make sudden turns, and that's its downside. But Cosette's downside was being human, with short legs and weak lungs compared to a horse.

Just a few seconds and she could make a turn, but when she was just about to cling on the wall to avoid stumbling completely into a wall, her waist was enveloped and she was lifted into the air.

Cosette screamed in shock, and realized it was Jack who hoisted her up. She was effortlessly slumped into the back of the horse and was almost thrown off if she hadn't held on to the reins. "Put me down!" She was pushing the arm of Jack infront of her but its firm grip remained on the reins. "There's no point in trying m'lady," he paused and looked at her. "You're just making it difficult for you," he says. The horse turned around and galloped for the exit.