Chapter Two

"Ow!" Cosette hasn't been careful again today. A bead of blood formed at the tip of her finger. It was around midday and Cosette just finished trimming the grass by the gate.

The wind whispered gently and the sun's heat caresses her skin warmly. It was a beautiful day, no doubt. Some of the roses had turn to full bloom and the amaranth at the backyard was slowly growing into a bud.

The roses were beautiful, but dangerous. Its torns surrounding the stem and can harm any fool who's not careful. She kept on watering them, also checking if they are growing good or not.

Cosette heard a rustle. A sound of leaves crushing and twigs breaking.

"Cosette!" Someone called out. There, clinging on the steel gate, was Rose.

"Rose!" Cosette placed the watering can on the grass, lifted her skirt and ran towards the gate. A smile was present on the face of the girls. Not just a simple smile, it was a smile of excitement and of joy.

Cosette pulled back the gates, rushed to Rose, and hugged her tight.

She was the one who pulled back too, curious on what brought Rose here. "What are you doing here, Rose? Wandering again in the woods aren't you?" She teased.

"No! Certainly not!"

Cosette let out a laugh. "Calm down, silly. Get inside."

"Is your aunt doing well?" Rose linked her arm with Cosette's and walked along the path. "What harm can knitting do to you?" Cosette whispered. Both girls giggled and went inside.

"Good Morning, Miss Meredith!" Rose smiled at the withering beauty of the woman.

Jane Meredith smiled back. Not a heart- warming smile, just a polite response to the lady. "What brought you here on a cold Tuesday morning, Rose?" Aunt Meredith asked without keeping her eyes off of her hobby. Doing twists and loops and holes and turns.

"Oh, I came here to give you the fine bread mama made." She held out a basket to Cosette. "Eat it for supper," Rose suggested.

"Thank you, Rose," Aunt Meredith spoke. "Send my regards to your mother."

Rose's father died a long time ago. Swallowed together with the burning woods and the dangerous fire.

Instead of bringing warmth to the family, the fire that broke out only gave them cold nights and horrible memories.

Rose became a responsible child, more than what was expected from a twelve- year- old girl. But long eight years brought changes to their lives. They slowly recovered, bit by bit. They soon learned to erase the devastating moments of that night; but keeping the memories of her loving father.

"Rose, can you help me with the flowers?" Cosette asked.

"Oh, sure Cosette. I missed your garden!" Rose exclaimed and took Cosette's hand and pulled her outside.

Out in the garden, the sun made everything glimmer. From leaves to petals and from trees to buds. "Rose!" Cosette giggled.

"Tell me Cosette, have you ever tried to go in there?" Rose pointed towards the large, ten feet tall wooden gate, rimmed with black steel. The gate stood there at the back along with the walls, its large size almost attracts everyone who visits them. But until now, no one knew about the gate, except maybe for Aunt Meredith.

Ever since Cosette stepped foot in her aunt's house, the wooden gate stole her attention everyday. Everytime she would go near it, the huge gate would loom over her. She never get the chance to see what is behind it.

It just stays there, unopened, rusting, and mysterious. "No. I haven't. It won't open, anyway," Cosette answered. "It's probably just the woods that you'll see if you open it." The girl curled her legs and picked up stray weeds.

"Well, let's try!" Rose pulled her but she resisted. "No, Rose! It has a lock. I don't have the key."

Rose shrugged and walked towards the opposite way instead. "Well, who has it? Maybe it's with your aunt."

"No, I guess not. Come help me pick apples." The topic having changed, Rose dropped the idea and walked along the grass.

Before walking towards the tree, Cosette took one last look at the gate. And for once, she thought she saw a faint glow of yellow light seeping through the edges of the gate, but faded as fast as it had appeared.

"Rose! Wait up! You're stepping on the clovers!"

Inside, Jane Meredith could just stare into the garden, not seeing the girls but she can hear their faint giggles and their feet stomping on the grass.

The secret would soon be revealed; whether she liked it or not. It will soon begin, and even the walls wouldn't be enough to protect her or hide her identity. After years of isolating her past, memories still kept from haunting her.

She's alone now. And when the time has come, Cosette would never understand her and her purposes.

She looked away from the outside world, took a sigh and reached for her pocket. The metal rims of a pendant felt cold on her palm. She traced each etching, each curve, and each pattern.

"Aunt Meredith!" Cosette's voice pulled her to reality. She instantly removed her hand away from her pocket.

"Aunt! Have you seen the basket for the apples?" Cosette entered.

"No. Look inside the cupboards." She answered while Cosette rumbled through the kitchen.

"Oh here it is!" Aunt Meredith heard the back door slam shut. She heard Rose calling Cosette over.

Jane sat there, thinking about the pendant and the time when Cosette shall ever need it. The time where she would never be able to continue her peaceful life.