Chapter Six

"Hmmhmmhuhum!" Cosette struggled hard since she was captured. Her legs, feet, hands and arms were tied tightly by a thick rope. Her stomach was starting to ache and her head was starting to pound from her position. She was at the back of the horse, lying face- down. A cloth was tied around her mouth to prevent her from speaking, but it did not prevent her from mumbling.

"Hmm!" Cosette mumbled. Jack continued to ignore her for what seems like hours now. Cosette was silently hoping for a miracle to happen and she would just wake up in her old yet comfortable duvet back home. But she knew reality more than anything.

In the entire trip, Cosette noticed something odd about her company. Every once in a while, Jack would sniff the air like a dog, his head would perch up every time he hears a rustle, and he would crinkle his nose on nothing. After a while, Jack exclaimed, "Ah! Here we are!" He got off the horse and stretched his body.

Cosette looked up to where they had stopped and found the most absurd thing that could exist in the middle of the woods; a curtain. A large, white curtain dangling between two thick trees. Nighttime crept up quickly. It was almost midnight and the moon illuminated the piece of cloth infront of them. The hem was dirty and smeared with mud for it reached the ground.

Jack appeared infront of her and stood with his hands on his waist. Anger suddenly consumed Cosette and she narrowed her eyes on him.

"Now, now, tiger," Jack cooed.

"Hmhphmmm!" Cosette struggled harder and squirmed from left to right like a worm.

"Oh, I'm sorry, earthworm." He stood closer amd snatched the cloth from her mouth. "Better?"

"You skank! Put me down here, now!" Cosette was furious and frustrated, she was getting tired of this, and all of the unanswered questions inside her head.

"Yep, not a good idea." Jack ignored her and walked behind her. "Anyway, we have finally arrived at our destination. So, chop chop!" She felt his hands untying the ropes starting from her hands to her feet.

Before he could finish, Jack stopped and looked at her.

"Before I untie you completely, let me just tell you something, uhm, what's your name?"

Cosette rolled her eyes, getting impatient.

"Cosette," she answered. "It's Cosette. Now can you untie my feet now?"

"Oh!" he exclaimed. "Cosette, okay Cosette, let me tell you this," he said while still behind Cosette who was still on the horse. "It's close to midnight, we are in the middle of the woods, wolves are getting hungry and all creatures who- knows- what are out there, and you are half a day away from home. So if you are planning an escape, it better be good and you better be a fast runner," Jack said. "Any questions?"

Cosette hesitated. He was right. It was dangerous out there, and she doesn't even know anything about combat neither surviving in the woods.

She stayed stubborn, however.

"I can handle myself. I am not a child anymore. And just so you know, I would try everything. Everything! Just to get away from you and be back home!" Cosette looked at Jack, who was looking at her, obviously not believing her.

Jack stayed still and raised an eyebrow.

"Alright, this would be the deal. You," he pointed. "Would not try to escape and I promise your questions would be answered. You'll know things from your past, trust me."

"M-my past?"

Cosette looked down.

"Alright! I won't try to escape." Cosette finally gave in.