ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 18 - ᴛʜᴇ ɪɴᴛᴇʀᴠɪᴇᴡ

Author's Note - Hey guys, I'm here with a bonus chapter today because why not ? So, I just want to remind you all to not miss the previous chapter, chapter 17 and end up reading this one first. xxx

---

A week after my wedding, I walked into the Executive office, the sound of my kitten heels tapping against the marble floor, with Rita by my side. All the employees were busy with their own work but the sound of my heels alerted them. A tall woman who I recalled from the days of my initial stay at the White House, dressed in formals and her hair pulled up in a bun , ran up to me, pushing her glasses over the bridge of her nose. She was the manager that overlooked the functioning of the household help.

"Good morning, Mrs. Kennedy, I didn't think you would come to office so early. You and Mr President should be out on your honeymoon." She blabbered.

"That's really not your concern, Martha. Anyway, Gentlemen, ladies –" I politely addressed everyone in the room and they all circled around me, I continued, "– I wanted to personally thank each one of  you for your support. You all know that the previous months have been the toughest for our President. The way you handled the office in absence of Mrs. Jacqueline Kennedy, it was commendable.  As your First Lady, I  request you all to please support me." I then walked from employee to employee , shaking their hands until finally I had met each one of them.

I walked into the cabin and sat down on the chair, letting my elbows rest on the desk in front of me.

"Rita, I would like to personally design the thank you notes for those who attended my wedding. Can you please check my schedule and tell me what all do I need to cover today?" I sighed and grabbed a cigarette, flicking it between my lips and lighting it.

Rita sat down on the empty chair in front of me and opened an appointment diary, going through the contents of it. "Mrs. Kennedy, you are supposed to give your first live interview with Mr. President today at 5 pm at the State Department Auditorium."

I raised an eyebrow, fiddling with my pen and then taking a drag of my cancer stick. "A live interview? I thought that was supposed to happen next month." I frowned, biting my lip.

Rita shook her head and apologetically glanced at me, "I thought Mr. President informed you. It's my fault, Mrs. Kennedy, I should have told you. But the wedding had kept me so occupied , it slipped my mind."

"It's alright, Rita, do not fret. It's my first official day as the First Lady and I have this hunch that my first appearance is going to be a fuck-up." I slid my hands through my hair and my elbows rested against my desk, my head lowered. Rita sighed and reached out, placing her hand on my arm and squeezing it. "You will not ruin anything , Mrs. Kennedy. Here –" She handed me a file and I took it, a confused expression on my face. I placed the file in front of me and turned it open, staring at the script in front of me.

"This came from the Oval Office for you a few minutes back when you were speaking to the staff outside. They wrote down a script for you. These are all the questions that will be asked to you." She informed.

"Thank you, Rita, I'm going to go through these. Could you get some intern to type out the thank you notes?" I asked as I flipped through the script. "Sure, Mrs. Kennedy, I'll ask Stacy to do it." She nodded. "Rita?" I stopped her as she was about to leave. "Please ask her to draft one first and get an approval before she types them all out." She nodded and walked out of the cabin, leaving me to go through the interview script in front of me.

---

After having a late lunch, I sat down with John Jr and Caroline for a bit, talking to them about their day until Rita reminded me that it was time to get ready for the interview. I kissed the children goodbye and promised to back by dinner time to tell them a story. I then went back to my room and changed into a yellow Chanel skirt suit and a pillbox hat with matching pumps.