ᴘʀᴇꜰᴀᴄᴇ - ɪɴꜱᴄʀɪʙᴇᴅ ɪɴᴛᴏ ʜɪꜱᴛᴏʀʏ

I could feel sturdy hands guide me out of that building but all I could feel was numb, I couldn't breathe, I couldn't even cry for the tears won't come out. I just moved my eyes, watching the mayhem around me as I was being walked to one of the police cars. That haunted look in the eyes of the crowd is something I will never forget. Some looked on, confused, while the others were hysterical, screaming and crying, sniffling into the handkerchiefs, watching the empty street numbly.

It was only minutes back when three shots had been fired and we all watched the bullet shatter the skull of our beloved First Lady, right in front of President Kennedy's eyes.

(12:15 pm, fifteen minutes before the assassination attempt)

"Joanna, aren't you coming?" Nancy, my blonde haired colleague and my only friend here at TSBD, asked me, twisting a loose strand of her hair around her index finger, "You weren't there when we were having lunch too! What's up with you today?"

"I haven't brought lunch today." I smiled softly and looked up from the stack of books laying in front of me, the ones that I was placing a sticker on and stacking them neatly. "Nor was I hungry."

"And you don't even want to take a look at Mr. President and Jackie?" She asked me in disbelief, her baby blue orbs widening slightly and she carefully ran one hand through her flipped bob, making sure that no loose strand is out.

I shook my head and almost threw back my head, laughing lightly from my amusement, before I politely declined, "You guys carry on. I'm not the one that obsessed with him, you all are."

"Are you denying that President Kennedy is an eye candy?" She raised her eyebrow at me, dramatically, her plump lips curling into a perfect O.

"Leave already and let me work in peace, Nancy, or else you'll miss your eye candy." I smirked and watched Nancy give me a smirk back before she turned around and started moving swiftly towards the staircase, the sound of her footsteps getting distant.

I stacked the last book of this lot and looked at my watch, I still had around twenty minutes left of my lunch break and maybe it was the right time to go and get a sneak peak of the Presidential motorcade myself. Using my presence of mind, I ran up to the window that was already occupied by four people waiting for the motorcade making me frown. I couldn't help but wonder, if the floors windows were not vacant, there was no way I was going to be able to find a good spot downstairs on the street. That's when I remembered that there was one window on the sixth floor of the book depository as well, and there was a possibility that this window would be free since that wasn't a work floor, that floor was only used to store the discarded books that weren't of any use anymore that could be recycled. Also, I knew that the sixth floor would be empty because I was the only employee apart from two more who had the keys to the sixth floor.

I walked up to my cabinet and pulled out my stash of keys. Holding the sixth floor key in my hand, I started walking briskly towards the sixth floor. I had only two levels to go up to. The keys jingling in my pockets , I ran up the dwindling staircase as fast as my feet would support me, momentarily glancing at my wrist watch.

Just three minutes were left to 12:30, I really hoped that I hadn't already missed him, but had I missed him, there would have been a commotion and cheering outside.

The minute I stepped on to the sixth floor, I realized that something was off. This door was never unlocked, because not every employee had the key. The two other employees that had the keys, their work desks were on the first and second floors so they usually asked me go up to the sixth floor as I was the closest one on the fourth floor.

Instead of bursting deeper on to that floor announcing myself, I decided to just take a sneak peak. Sometimes, newly joined interns would just sneak up here, having snuck out the keys from either Matthew or Dave, and would make out for minutes in these corners. Suspecting that today was probably another day when a couple had decided to sneak up to the sixth floor, I decided to catch them red handed.