Chapter Six ~ The Satan Pit (part one)

Start from the beginning

"Retreat." He sighed. "Now I know I'm getting old." He added.

"Rose we're coming back up." The doctor said. "Best news I've heard all day!" Rose was smiling and seemed very pleased. Then Toby woke up, accidentally headbutting me as he raised his head. "Ow, shit." I said, as I clutched my chin in pain. "I-I'm s-sorry." Toby stuttered. "It's okay. Are you alright?" I asked. "I-I don't know." Toby replied, gasping for air. I felt a shadow grow over me and Toby. I looked up to see Jefferson towering over us. Jefferson released the safety catch on his gun, looking down at Toby. "What're you doing?" Rose asked.

He aimed the gun at Toby. But I got in the way of it. "He's infected. He brought that thing on board. You saw it. "Jefferson replied. "You're not going to shoot him." I said, bravely. I felt Toby cower behind me. Rose approached him. "Are you gonna start shooting your own people, now? Is that what you're gonna do? Is it?" Rose asked. "If necessary." Jefferson replied. "Well the, you'll have to shoot me 'if necessary', so what's it gonna be?" I asked, as I held the barrel of the gun. Jefferson paused. Rose kneed next to Toby. "Look at his face. Whatever it was, it's gone. it passed into the Ood. You saw it happen. He's clean." Rose continued.

Jefferson stood there and considered what to do. Toby was breathing heavily, frightened. "Any sign of trouble... I'll shoot him." Jefferson, said before snatching the gun away from me and walking away. "Toby what happened?" I asked. "Are you alright?" Rose asked. Close to tears and trembling, Toby replied. "Yeah... I..." He shook his head. "Dunno." Toby was terrified. "Can you remember anything?" I asked. "Just... it was so angry. It was... fury and rage... death..." From casting terrified glances around the room, he first met Rose's eyes. "It was him." He panicked. Then he met my eyes. "It was the devil."

Rose pulled him into a hug, before she jumped up and returned to comm. "Was there anything else you remember? If there is... you can tell. Trust me!" I smiled. He looked at my neck. "I'm sorry." He said, as he raised his arm to my neck. "What?" I asked. "The bruises." Toby replied. I gasped, raising my hand to my neck. Realizing that there must have been bruises there from where he, The Beast had gripped me.

When he made contact with the skin on my neck, he seemed to pull his hand away in a quick motion. "What?" I asked, his eyes opened wider, bloodshot and worried. "Toby? What?" I asked. "Malia? I... I am so sorry!" He continued. What does that mean? But I didn't want to think about it. I thought at first he must have meant the bruises. "It's okay. It wasn't your fault..." I remarked. "I didn't mean the bruises..." He claimed.

I stood up, unwilling to let myself think about what he meant.

We all waited in the exploration deck for them to make contact. "Okay, we're in. Bring us up." Ida said. "Ascension in..." Jefferson said. Rose and I smiled profusely. "Three... two... one." Jefferson continued. Suddenly, the mechanism fails and the lights go out.

"This is the Darkness. This is my domain." The Voice of the Beast spoke over all the comm's, like he was everywhere. The display on the screen changed to that of several of the Ood standing together, the Beast was using them to communicate. "You little things that live in the light... clinging to your feeble Suns..." It continued. "...which die in the..."

"That's not the Ood. Someone's talking through them." Zach said, through the comm. "This is Captain Zachary Cross Flane of Sanctuary Base representing the Torchwood Archive. You will identify yourself." Zach said. "You know my name." It continued. "What do you want?" Zach asked. "You will die here. All of you. This planet is your grave." It growled.

Toby sat, still trembling on the floor. "It's him. It's him. It's him..." Toby muttered. "If you are the Beast, then answer me this: which one? Hmm?" The Doctor asked. "Cause the Universe has been busy since you've been gone. There's more religions than there are planets in the sky. The Archivits... Pordonity, Christianity... Pash-Pash, New Judaism... Sanclar... Church of the Tin Vagabond, which devils are you?" The Doctor asked. "All of them." It replied. "What, then you're the truth behind the myth?" The Doctor asked. "This one knows me, as I know him. The killer of his own kind." It almost mocked the Doctor.