Chapter 20 - In Green Hills

"Are we not to leave this place immediately, Mother?" Gun Gun innocently tilted his head at his Mother, who was reading one of Fenrir's tomes. He did not understand. It turns out that his mother was already seemingly healed and well enough, but why was she not doing anything to return to Folkvangr?

Feng Jiu sighed, sadness creeping into the crevices of her heart. "While I would very much love to return to Folkvangr, my son, we cannot."

"Why is that, Mother?"

The dark-haired goddess set aside the scroll pondering. Despite the fact that she'd returned 10000 years ago, the only time she ever thought of Asgard was when she thought of Gun Gun - mostly - and then her student, Loki, wondering if he'd died of heartbreak. The half-Jotun had barely recovered his wits after Sigyn's death, then added with the deaths of his only children with the other Enchantress, Jormungand and Fenrir's disappearance could be the last straw to break the camel's back.

Despite being a goddess, she knew she cannot travel well beyond the means of her powers. She could travel from Qing Qiu to anywhere in this universe, but that was it. Her mortal trial was her experience in Asgard, no matter how unbelievable it may sound to the other immortals, that she had confirmed.

If she truly wanted to go back to Folkvangr, she'd either need Heimdall's powers - if he could hear her, then that was fantastic - but the fact remains that Heimdall could not hear her calls, and her other option involved the use of the Tesseract, which, she clearly did not have on her person.

She was not even going to get started of duties. She was Queen of Eastern Qing Qiu here in the Nine Heavens, yet there in Asgard, she was the ruler of the realm of Folkvangr.

But the fact still stood that while she may not need to return, Fenrir and Jormungand has to, for they were Asgardians through and thrugh. They were not like her who was born into the Nine Heavens, and had been sent to Asgard for her Heavenly Trial.

Feng Jiu shook her head. "Even if we wanted to, we have no means of leaving this god-forsaken realm, Gun Gun," her words sounded bitter against her tongue. Here in the immortal realm, she'd had her fair share of bad memories. The start of her Heavenly Trial had been when she'd been pushed off by Ji Heng at Zhuxian Terrace and woken up in Jotunheim. Every night, she'd prayed to her ancestors her gratitude for letting her keep her Gun Gun.

That did not mean, however, that she was always happy back in Asgard. She had lost many close friends in battle, more so that she had in the immortal realm.

It had been in Asgard where she'd fallen in love for a second time. Or rather, in Alfheimr.

"Mother?"

Feng Jiu shook herself out of her trance and patted the top of Gun Gun's head. "I am sorry, Gun Gun. It seems for once, I cannot think of a solution to this dilemma of ours," she smiled sadly.

Gun Gun smiled, then took her hand and leaned into the warmth of her palm. "As long as it's anywhere Mother is, I am fine."

::

Everything seemed fine and dandy in her life, but that was before Feng Jiu realized that the news that she had a son had already spread out of the Nine Heavens. Everything actually seemed perfect, until the cold truth that Dong Hua knew of her son's existence had slapped her over and over again.