The Key

Melanie Hill's Point Of View

A.X.L followed Sara's movements as she drew in the air, recreating the feather she was drawn on the wall back at the abandoned building. "Okay, that's enough." The man with glasses, Andric, shouted turning to me. "I'm gonna ask you one last time, Ma. Hill. Give me the key!" I ignored him keeping my eyes on Sara. 

The canine made a noise and Andric shook his head in anger as he tapped on his tablets screen harshly. Suddenly, an alarm went off, blaring loudly. Taking his eyes of the robot for a split second was enough for Ax to shake off the cord connected to him, his eyes going back to an electric blue.

As the robot shook off the cables, the cage Sara was trapped in disappeared and she ran towards me. "Are you okay?" I nod without taking my eyes off A.X.L, Sara tugged at the restrains in attempt to free me.

Ax's eyes flash red and launches at Andric, surprising the man, as he barks at him. The robot opens his metallic mouth and shows off his sharp fangs and drills at the scientist.

I yell at A.X.L to stop and the two men slip out the door running away, the alarm continues to ring throughout the facility. Once the men escaped I was free. Sara and I rushed out of the room, Ax following behind us. There was a bike in the room we entered I grabbed the helmet resting on top and go to put it on. 

Sara pulls my hands down then takes my face in her hands, "Be careful." She whispers before kissing me roughly on the lips. I put my forehead against hers and sigh nodding then kissing her one last time then sliding my head into the dark helmet. She turns to Ax and pets him, saying goodbye and kissing his head.

The girl of my dreams stands in front of the garage door and looks over her shoulder. I give her a nod and she smiles sadly. The door opens and she steps out with her hands up as a woman on the other side speaks through a megaphone, but we ignore her voice.

I kick off the stand on the bike and give it life, turning the gas handle making it roar. Ax growls flashing his eyes red, standing defensively. Pushing forward I drive out of the building and leave without looking back, A.X.L hot on my tail. He stops in front of a cargo container and angles himself, I speed up and ride over him like a ramp, sending me up and over the fence.

Continuing with riding the motorcycle through hill away from the military, and far from Sara. 

Ax and I ride down the hill into a trail, behind us I hear an aircraft following. Keeping my eyes on the road in front of me, my heart pounds against my rib cage. The robotic dog makes a  noise of anger and falls into step with me.

We go on the side of the mountain and I take a glance back, I see the helicopter coming closer. Ax and I share a look as we near the edge of the mountain, once at the end we fly off, soaring forward with the momentum. The feeling of freedom doesn't last long, I crash into the dirt and roll down the side of the hill.

A.X.L's body rolls down as well, breaking slightly with each tumble. Finally, not rolling anymore I land on my arm and I yell in pain. My robotic friend walks to me and whines virtually, staring at me with what I knew was sadness, and begins to nudge me with his metallic foot.

Pushing away my pain I take off the helmet and sit up, "Ax, what are you doing. Come on, you have to get out of here!" I yell over the loud sound of the helicopter. "Listen to me, A.X.L, you gotta leave. Get out of here." I yell at him to go, to leave me behind, tears threatening to fall. 

Whining, he backs away and then turns towards the aircraft. Picking up the helmet I slide it on and watch Ax run towards his death. Shaking my head, knowing that whatever happens is for the best doesn't make it right. It makes it worse.