Motherly Touch

Melanie Hill's Point Of View

Miles and the other contestants lined up at the mark. Dad and I made our way to the crowd, I watched as Dad went over to Miles and give him a pep talk. At this moment I realized my brother was lined up beside the boy that got in his way the last race.

A woman walks up to the middle of the track and raises a board indicating there were thirty seconds left, at the same time it was announced. Then the stoppers fell letting the racers go, Miles and the Fontaine boy were in the lead, then began to slow down. I leaned back on one of the rails watching serious at the show being placed in front of me.

Fontaine takes the lead and my brother is hot on his tail. They take a turn and my Miles takes that chance to speed and get ahead of the 23 boy. The announcer hypes up my brother and I grin clapping as I watch Miles cross the finish line first.  

I run over to Miles and hug him, "Good job, Miles. You did great." He nods and hugs me back then turns to our dad hugging him too. I look behind me and make eye contact with the girl who I owe. Waving I smirk and shoot her a wink before taking the motorcycle from Miles and taking over to our station once my brother hopped off.

Miles and dad began to place things into the van while I checked the bike, making sure it was fine. A truck came up from behind and stopped getting our attention by calling out our last name. "Hey, Hill gang. What's going on fellas?" The Fontaine boy says as I pick up the trophy my brother won. "Nice race, Miles." My brother thanks him and I smirk seeing the girl from earlier sitting beside him on the passenger seat of the car. She waves at me, I tilt my head back and smile placing the trophy in the back of the car. "I don't know what you're up to tonight, but I'm having a party at my place. You two should come by, specially you Miles, tons of cute girls."

"I don't know man, we got work in the morning," Miles says shrugging pointing between both him and I. I shrug as well and pick up my toolbox then place it next to the trophy in the back.

Sam, who I learned is the young Fontaine's name, checked his watch like a smart ass, "You got about 12 hours between now and then. You got something better to do?" Smirking I wipe my hands with rag and pull off the hair tie without breaking eye contact with the girl.

"We'll think about it, man. Thanks," I say giving him a firm nod then turning back to the van when they drive away. Rolling my eyes quickly once I see my dad with his arms crossed.

He sighs and sits next to the motorcycle, staring at my brother and I, "You know I'm proud of you, right?" Miles sighs mumbling 'Here we go' causing me to scoff. "Life isn't all about racing, ya'know? Sometimes you got to take your foot off the accelerator or off books for a little bit."

"If you want to lose," I mumble, dad places his hand on my head and ruffles my hair, messing it up. Chuckling, I push him of sticking my tongue out at him and pushing him off.

"That guy, his dad's got connections, right? Connections means sponsors and sponsors means..." He trails off wanting us to finish the sentence. 

"Chains for days. We get it." Miles sighs putting his hands on his hips while I sat on the back of the car taking my dads spot.

I roll my eyes and wait for them to close the double door and drive off. Once we get home I shower and change, yet putting on the same pair of jeans do to loving the comfortable feeling, unlike other jeans did. Miles and I went over to the party, not really in the mood, but wanting to take advantage of the moment. 

Miles wrapped his arm around my shoulder when we enter, pulling me close so I wouldn't get lost or try to leave him to hide. The large amount of people made my anxiety spike, I tried to keep looking forward and pushed people put of my way unlike my brother who was getting pushed aside by a couple off girls.