Trapped

Melanie Hill's Point Of View

Two hours had past and Sara was putting her hair up in a ponytail, giving up all attempts on taming the locks. Miles hoped off the car and smirked at us then handed Sara his hoodie pointing out the bite mark I gave her. Smiling proudly I shrugged when she gave me a glare, I returned it with an innocent face.

Rolling her eyes she walked over to Ax and patted him. I put my hair in a tight bun. Outside the building there was a car passing by, it stopped parking. Miles, Sara and I hid together and waited. Two men entered the shop and we stayed quiet as they searched the place. I reached forward and picked up a a wrench carefully, Sara tried to pull me back but I gave her a look that said 'everything is going to be fine'. 

One of the men goes up to Ax and tried to slowly put to muzzle on him. Once the loading process is complete I take that chance and toss the tool across the room. Both men turn to the noise distracted. A.X.L begins to move and knocks out the guy in front of him, his eyes glowing a familiar red.

The other guy shoots at the canine with a laser, shocking him. Miles runs to the guy shooting Ax and tackles him. Sara stand up and runs behind me as I bend down grabbing the gun from the first man, Miles doing the same with the guy he knocked down. I look back at the computer screen and see a pixelated face that I make out to be of Sam's. "Guys, he's going after Sam." I say getting their attention and pointing at the screen.

"We got to go after him," I tried to make a joke, but she Sara shot me a look that said not to fight her on this. Nodding we get on the bike and Miles follows us on the truck. I drive while Sara giving me the directions with the map following A.X.L's every move, he was headed to Sam's house.

I drove in to the place only to see a large crowd rushing out of the property, screaming in panic. Parking the motorcycle in the middle of the field Sara and I searched for Ax. The Reyes girl hopped of the bike and took of the helmet and gasped when she saw Sam crawling out from under a n SUV. I slid off my helmet and called out to the robo-dog, we made eye contact until he looked away and chased after the young Fontaine.

Sam grabbed the flame thrower and activated it, pointing the weapon at Ax. I yelled at him to stop, the flames hurting A.X.L again, just like he had before. Sam stared at the robot in fear as he realized he ran out of lighter fluid. Sara and I ran in front of Sam shielding him from the robotic weapon, created by the government. "Ax, it's okay. He won't hurt you anymore, Sam feels sorry." I smile and look over my shoulder shooting said boy a glare, "Don't you Sam?"

"Ye-yes, I'm sorry, buddy. I didn't mean to hurt you." Sam apologized, stuttering.  Ax's eyes tuned blue and I frowned looking up at a buzzing sound. Sam ran away and I stared up at the sky looking at the beeping red drones as they flew above us.

Sara grabbed my arm and I pulled her close, "Melanie, what's happening?" Her voice shaking scared. A.X.L began to bark and growl at the drones, then they charged at us and I pulled Sara down covering her with my body, protecting her.

The drones attacked themselves to Ax and shocked them, electrocuting the robot. I stared at the dog my heart beating at the horrible sight of him being put down. Sara and I ran over to him and she placed her hand on him, the electricity shocked her sending her back.

I launched to help her up only to be held by an unknown person. I elbowed him and kicked the guy that held Sara on the head knocking him off, "Don't touch her!" I yelled standing in front of the girl protecting her. Someone came up from behind me and covered my mouth with a rag dipped in chloroform. I watched faded as they did the same to Sara before I was consumed by darkness.

My eyes snapped open and I shook my head trying to stop the ringing in my ears. I looked ahead and saw a man sitting by a computer, looking around I sat on the floor while being tied up to a pillar. My eyes traveled to a different a screen on the corner, out of instinct tugged on the restrains, wanting to go where Sara was being held. The man by the computer turned around and smirked at me with an evil glint in his eyes.

"Ax, can you hear me? Come on you have to get Sara out of here." I called out to A.X.L, ignoring the gaze of the man sitting on the same room. "What are you doing to him?"

"Well, I've got your buddy under control, but I'm having a little problem." The man walks over to me holding a tablet and tapping on the screen, He clears his throat and crouches before me. "Does that look familiar?" He asks showing me the key my idiotic brother used to get paired with Ax. "I want it back. And if you want to get out of here alive, you'll give it to me. So where is it, Ms. Hill?"

Scoffing I shake my head with a fake smile, "You make me sound old. But listen to me, she better be okay. Or I'mm gonna rip off your head with my bare hands. Your blood will paint this walls and your little project will be exposed." 

"Project,? What exactly do you think I've been doing here?" He hums tilting his head to the side. "Aside from giving our men on the battle field a fighting chance against an evolving enemy?"

I glare at him and extend my leg kicking his foot causing him to loose balance and fall back on his ass, "You are creating animals, weapons, to kill people. As if there wasn't enough violence now days." I shake my head grinning as he stands up sighing.

"People kill people. This is a machine. A computer program that obeys lines of code that I've written." He chuckles and making me roll my eyes, "I've got nothing left to lose. That's my dog."

"Pretty pathetic if you ask me," I said getting on my feet, pushing against the metallic pillar. He laughs at me then speaks into a microphone saying to bring in the girl. A door opens and I call out my princess' name.

"Melanie! Let me go!" She screams at the man holding her. She tried to run towards me, but is stopped by a light surrounding her, Ax comes to life and stares at her with glowing red eyes.

"One step out of this box and your little friend will attack." The man in glasses says. "Just give me that key and you can both go home." Sara rolls her eyes and tries to walk over to me, Ax launches at her with his claws, snarling at my girl.

Probably a bad time to be excited at the name I just called her but nevertheless happy, though I don't show it. I roll my eyes at my thoughts, not being the right time to have a battle with myself. 

Sara gasps and rushes back to the square, being the only thing keeping her safe. "Wise up, Melanie. It's about time you see what this asset is capable of." He presses something on the tablet, which caused Ax to creep around the cage where Sara was trapped in.

"Let her go! We don't know where it is, okay? We lost it," I yelled watching tentatively with a glare I wish could burn holes through his head.

Smirking the man with the tablet shrugged, "We, you better start thinking fast, Melanie." I groan as I continue to fight against the restrains, calling out to my princess as A.X.L walks around her, like stalking its pray. "Come on, sweetheart., I'm under a very tight deadline." Sara turns to run out of the square, but was only a distraction as she runs to the other side and grabs a a flashlight. Ax snarls at her and moves to attack her, but she's faster and scurries back to the safe spot.

"A.X.L, it's me Sara. Remember this?" Sara tries to connect with the canine and turns on the light, her hand moves in a way so delicately as if she was drawing. Stroking in up and down motions like she had before, when she was painting the wall.