"His name is Gunner. He's an old friend of mine from a few years ago. I ran into him about two weeks ago."

"And what does this Gunner do?"

She holds her head down before mumbling, "He's a rapper."

"So, are you dating this guy or something?"

"No, mama. We're just friends. It is possible for two people to be friends."

"That smile on your face is saying other wise. What do you think people are gonna say when paparazzi catches pictures with you out with this guy?"

"I don't care what people would think, they don't know me. And why're you making that face?" Kacey frowned seeing the puzzled look on her mother's face.

"Cause I know exactly what you're doing." Athena sat up sitting Indian style.

Kacey rolled her eyes becoming annoyed already knowing where her mom was going with this conversation. "Oh my god, not this."

"No, you need to hear this. I know you're only entertaining this guy because you think he will fulfill the things that Montana doesn't. You're not even divorced yet and you're trying to build a relationship with this man."

"A relationship? No. A friendship? Yes. And don't act like we both don't know Montana is out entertaining other hoes."

"You don't have to do what you think he's doing. Honey, right when he does something to you, you're ready to call it quits. He hits you and you're ready to leave. You hit this man all the time and he hasn't walked away from you—You don't need to be making any friendships with this guy. If you're gonna divorce Montana do that and focus on you. As your mother, I'm telling my daughter she needs counseling."

"Counseling for what?! What the hell is counseling going to do. Me and Montana been to counseling many times and that hasn't worked."

"I'm not talking about for you both! I'm talking about for you! Somewhere in your mind you have this thought that Montana doesn't love you so you want to go through with this divorce because you've now met this other guy and you think he's going to love you better. You need to love yourself first before you try to find another man to love you instead to make you feel better about yourself."

"Mom, you're talking bullshit. I love myself dearly."

Athena shook her head, "You don't, baby." She scoots closer to her grabbing her hands. "I was like you when I was younger. Grandpa wasn't the best dad to me and I've always tried to do things to make him proud of me. Once I had you me and him grew this closer bond and I was grateful for that and when he and your dad died, that's why I acted the way I did. I never wanted my child to grow up without a father figure and you did at a young age. Growing up it was as if you didn't have both your mom and dad and I'm sorry for that. I do blame myself for that because I didn't want you to be anything like me...but baby you are."

Kacey shook her head, choking up, "That's not, true. That's maybe what you think, but I don't think that at all..."

"Of course you're gonna deny it. Kacey you're hurting. It's all in your body language. I am telling you this because I love you and I don't want you to go down the wrong path. Seek counseling."

"...I'm not seeking counseling."

"Kacey." Athena sighed as she watched Kacey stand up.

"No!" Kacey exclaimed looking at her mother, "Because I'm not like you and will never be. I will never neglect my child for telling the truth about some sick ass shit that happened to them. I will never force my daughter to marry a guy just so he could help pay your bills instead of getting off your lazy ass and getting a damn job! And I would never sleep with the guy my daughters supposed to get married to just for some money. You're the reason I'm in this mess, I wouldn't have never met him and became the person I am now. I'm so sick of this goddamn shit! I will live my life the way I want to and I don't care what anyone has to say."