Savior

Winter skipped down a quiet street in sector AG-5, humming softly to herself. It was a place she had visited frequently when she still lived full-time on Luna, and had wanted to return to while she and Jacin were visiting. Ever her guard, Jacin had insisted he come with her, and was strolling leisurely beside her, more at ease than Winter had seen him in years. Every person she passed was gifted a small flower from the basket Winter carried on her arm, and a smile that left many of them staring long after she passed.

"What happened to your face?" a small child of maybe nine asked inquisitively. Jacin glared, causing him to back off, but Winter crouched down so she was eye-level with the boy.

"A very mean dragon snatched me from my bed and gave me these scars" she said seriously. "Luckily Jacin was there to save me before he could EAT ME." At these last two words Winter lunged forward and tickled the boy, leaving him in a fit of giggles. As the pair continued their walk they heard the boy telling his friends the story in whispered awe.

"You should stop telling people that, you know. I did nothing to save you. You were brave all on your own."

Winter turned toward him with a pretend look of exasperation on her face. Jacin resisted the urge to tuck a loose curl behind her ear. "I was not very well going to tell a child the truth, and besides, you did save me. You were the one who bandaged and took care of me afterwards, remember?"
Then quieter, "You always save me."

Jacin stepped closer and reached for her elbows. "Princess, sometimes I think you were the one who saved me." Though she no longer technically held the title, it had been hard for Jacin to break the habit. Besides that, he still thought she was a princess, no matter what title she held.

Smiling up at him, Winter whispered, "And what, exactly, does that mean?"

"It means, Winter, that I could not live without you, anymore than I could live without oxygen."

Again, a smile stretched across her face. "Nor could I. And I don't intend to either."

She stood up on her toes to steal a kiss, but a series of giggles from the kids still nearby caused Jacin to step back, rubbing the back of his neck in embarassment. Winter,  impervious to public opinion as she was, simply leaned farther in and kissed him.

Each time Winter kissed him, Jacin still felt a jolt of shock. Shock that he was finally able to hold her, to love her, shock that she was finally his. He pulled back and looked down into her face, leaving his arms wrapped gently around her waist.

"Winter?"

"Mhm?"

"I will always be here to save you."

"And I will always be here to save you." She grinned, "and to be saved."