1858

1858

The sunlight poured into the room as I woke up. Today was a special day. It was my sixteenth birthday. I didn't waste any time before throwing my blankets off my lap and hurrying to get changed. After quickly combing through my hair I hurried out of my room and stumbled into my brother.

"Oops," I chuckled as I stepped back, my face scrunched in an embarrassed grin. "Sorry, Damon, I didn't realize you were there." Unlike with Stefan's room, Damon and I had rooms across from each other rather than down the hall.

"It's quite alright," he said with a soft chuckle before pulling me into a hug, "happy birthday Leona." I grinned at the familiar nickname.

"Thank you! I wasn't sure if anyone would remember." Last year no one had made a big deal out of my birthday, Not that I minded, I usually prefer quiet days anyway. I pulled back from the hug and looked up at my older brother, he would be turning nineteen in nearly two months.

"How could I forget your sixteenth birthday." He ruffled my hair with a smirk. "We should head down for breakfast." He pushed my shoulder playfully before walking on ahead of me. I hurried after him, eventually passing him before tripping over my skirt and falling onto the carpet with a thud. A squeak escaped my throat as I fell and once I'd hit the floor I couldn't help but chuckle. Damon rushed to my side, offering his hand to help me up as he shook his head.

"Are you okay?" I nodded silently as I smoothed out my dress. "Good. Be more careful, you know how father hates-"

"I know, but nothing seems to be broken and I'm not injured." I gave a small smile before turning to continue the walk downstairs. I quietly winced in pain as I stepped down the stairs, I paused and lifted my skirt just high enough to see my ankle. There was a small red mark by the top of my shoe.

"You sure you're not hurt?" I felt Damon's hand gently placed on my shoulder and I nodded.

"Nothing that won't disappear in a few days." I gave a soft smile before walking down the stairs, following the familiar path to the dining room where a few breakfast trays were already set out on the table. My parents were seated on opposite ends of the table and Stefan was at his usual seat already visibly impatient as he waited for us to take our seats at the table. Our father looked up from his book as I pulled out my seat from the table.

"Good morning, father." I smiled as I scooched in the chair.

"Cleona," He looked to my mother and then to Damon and Stefan.

"Happy birthday, Cleo!" Stefan said rather loudly from beside me.

"Stefan," my father's voice sent chills down my spine as he scolded my little brother.

"Happy birthday, Cleona." I looked to my mother as she whispered to me and placed her hand over mine. I simply smiled as my father called for breakfast to be brought out. There was only small talk made throughout the meal but at least there didn't seem to be any tension, or so I thought.

"Damon what was the loud noise when you were upstairs?" My father asked, though me and Damon knew it was an accusation.

"Oh," Damon glanced at me and I met his eyes before blinking and drawing my gaze back to my food. Damon cleared his throat before continuing to talk. "I tripped on the carpet, I suppose one of the corners was tucked under." Our father just hummed in response.

"May I be excused, father?" I asked, not looking up from my plate.

"I suppose." I let out a soft sigh as I pushed my chair out and headed back to my room. Without a second thought I dropped on my bed, face first onto my pillow. Before I was able to let sleep overtake my mind I heard knocking on my door. I pulled myself off my bed and made my way to the door. Damon was standing out in the hall.