Chapter Forty-Nine | Arguments

"Have you given any thoughts to your own marriage?" David inquired, as he launched an arrow towards the target, and hit the centre.
      The two friends were once again playing archery on the Palace's grounds. David placed the bow on the ground and joined JF who sat underneath a tree, attempting to get some shade.
    "Marriage is a waste of time," JF informed. "I'm never going to tie myself down."
      "Interesting way of seeing things," David observed. "You do realize that your cousin is marrying my sister, right?"
      "Yes, yes. But they need to marry someone so that they can produce heirs. I don't need to marry anybody and I have no intention to."
      "Is there a point in me asking you what lead to this ideology?"
      "No."
      David chuckled and plucked a weed out of the ground, crumpled it between his fingers and threw it to the side.
      "What about you?" JF asked. "Are you going to get married?"
      "I don't know," David shrugged. "If I can find the right person. At least now that I'm no longer the Prince of Wales, I will have more choices."
      JF nodded in agreement as Darrel approached them. The men stood and gave her informal bows.
      "What are you doing out here?" David exclaimed. "Shouldn't you be in bed?"
      "I was on bedrest for two weeks," Darrel reminded.
      "So you're better?"
      "Yes. Sir Simon cleared me this morning."
      "I'm glad to hear that."
      David gave his sister a short, awkward hug. As they pulled away, they both gave each other odd looks. JF smirked at the rare show of affection.
      "Welcome back to the real world," JF grinned.
      "Thank you," Darrel nodded. "Have either of you seen Sebastian? I can't find him anywhere, and the servants don't know where he is."
      "He went for a walk after breakfast."
      "I'm surprised that you didn't go with him."
      "Sebastian wanted to be on his own. He didn't even bring guards with him."
      "Let me know when he comes back. I need to talk to him. He's avoiding me."
      "I'm sure that's not true," David assured. "He's your fiancé."
      "In the past week, I've only seen him twice," Darrel snapped.
      "Okay, he's avoiding you. You were right. My apologies."
      Darrel shot her older brother an annoyed glare.
      "Mother and Father are going out for a party of some sorts," David informed, desperate to change the subject. "So it will only be the four of us tonight."
      "If Sebastian comes back in time," Darrel shrugged and walked back towards the Palace.
      JF let out a heavy sigh and went to grab the abandoned bow. He approached the target, as David gave him an odd look.
      "What's going on?" David demanded.
      "What do you mean?" JF replied, as the arrow hit the target.
      "Between Sebastian and Darrel. He's your cousin, and he tells you everything. Why is he ignoring her? Did they have a fight?"
      "I don't know."
      "Yes, you do. Tell me."
      JF lowered the bow and turned to look at his friend, giving him an innocent shrug. But David managed to stare him down.
      "It's not my place to say anything," JF sighed.
      "Should I worry?" David inquired.
      "I don't know."
      "Would you tell me if there was cause for concern?"
      "Most likely not."
      "What kind of friend are you?"
      "The kind who is loyal to my cousin, not to mention; my future king."
      "Yes, and I am loyal to my sister, who happens to be my future queen," David snapped. "And if something is happening that may cause her pain, it is my job to stop it."
      "Please don't put me in an awkward position," JF requested. "You know that you're the closest friend I have, and under normal circumstances, I would tell you anything. But this isn't my business."
      David gave his friend a disapproving glare then walked into the Palace. JF let out a heavy sigh, threw the bow to the ground and followed.

      That evening, Darrel, David and JF were in the drawing room, waiting for dinner. The princess kept looking between the two men, who weren't speaking to each other. Every now and then they would eye each other in a suspicious manner then take a large sip of their drinks.
      "What happened between the two of you?" Darrel asked.
      "Nothing," David muttered.
      "Don't give me that. You were playing archery a few hours ago, and now you're acting as if you were enemies."
      "People change...people change their minds, their attitudes...their loyalties."
      "Enough!" JF groaned.
      Darrel let out a heavy sigh as the door opened and Francis walked in.
      "Your Highnesses, Your Excellency," Francis bowed.
      "Is that dinner?" Darrel inquired, looking forward to the end of the awkward evening.
      "No ma'am. There was a call for you from a bar owner."
      "A bar owner? What was it about?"
      "The Prince of Spain is there...and he is quite intoxicated. The man who called doesn't want him endangering himself by wandering off on his own."
      "Thank you Francis," Darrel nodded, getting to her feet. "Could you please get me an unmarked car to go to there at once?"
      "Of course your highness," Francis nodded, then backed out of the room.
      "I'll come with you," JF offered.
      "Thank you," Darrel replied. "We should go."
      "Should I go get the guards?"
      "No. That will draw attention to us. Nobody wants this as the headline tomorrow morning."
      "You have a point."
      "We'll get Sidney to come with us. He can drive, he's a guard, and he speaks Spanish."
      "Excellent idea."
      "Good. I'll tell him. Meet me at the front door in ten minutes."
      Before he had a chance to respond, Darrel hurried out of the room. JF let out a heavy sigh as he finished his drink then slammed it down on the coffee table.
      "Watch it," David warned.
      "Well, at least you won't have to deal with me tonight," JF snapped.
      "Does Sebastian's intoxication have anything to do with whatever is going on?"
      "I will see you later."
      JF gave him a cold look and stormed out of the drawing room.