Chapter Forty-Three | The Spanish Prince Returns

About three weeks later, Darrel was still at Downton Abbey. Everyone in the household got used to the guards, and for the most part, ignored them. Darrel still didn't like having bodyguards, but accepted that it was the new normal.
     One afternoon, she returned from a walk through the village with Tom (as well as Benjamin and Allen). When they arrived at the house, they saw two taxis pulling up.
     "Is Cora expecting anybody?" Tom inquired.
     "Not that I know of," Darrel replied.
     One of car doors opened and Sebastian climbed out, followed by another man. He was older than Sebastian, and had curly dark brown hair and light brown eyes. The men saw Darrel approach and sunk into deep bows.
     "Sebastian, what are you doing here?" Darrel gasped, throwing her arms around him.
     "I'm surprising my fiancée," he grinned.
     "You haven't even been away for a month! I was expecting you to be gone for much longer."
     "I dealt with everything I had to. You didn't miss me?"
     "Of course I did."
     "Good, I missed you too."
     Darrel smiled as Sebastian planted a kiss on her lips. They pulled apart and Sebastian gestured to the other man.
     "Do you remember my cousin? This is Juan Fernando. Or, JF as everyone calls him," Sebastian introduced.
     JF stepped forward and kissed Darrel's hand, "Your Highness. It is an honour to see you again. You have grown since the last time I saw you."
     "It's nice to see you as well," Darrel nodded. "You are exactly as I remember."
     "Does that mean I was old when you first met me, or that I am young now?"
     "You may decide how you wish to take that comment."
     JF chuckled, and muttered to Sebastian, "Ella es descarada. Lo apruebo."
     Sebastian looked at Darrel then smirked.
     "What did he say?" Tom asked.
     "Nothing important," JF assured.
     "Please keep your conversations in English if you can," Darrel requested.
     "Of course we will. Although I can't promise the same for our guards, they don't speak much English."
     "More guards?"
     Sebastian pointed to the other taxi, where five bodyguards climbed out. They went to grab the bags from the trunk.
     "Downton now has eight bodyguards?" Tom asked.
     "Looks like it," Darrel nodded. "Papa won't be very happy."
     "I hope he doesn't punch these ones."
     Darrel shot him a glare, while the Spanish visitors gave them confused looks.
     "What did we miss?" JF inquired. "Did Lord Grantham punch a guard?"
     "It's not important," Darrel assured. "Everyone's moved past it. Let's get back to your unexpected visit."
     "I'm sorry Darrel, I should have called ahead of time. But I wanted this to be a surprise," Sebastian explained.
     "Don't worry about it, this was a very good surprise. Let's go in. Benjamin, can you bring the Spanish guards around back and ask Mrs. Hughes to find rooms for them?"
     "Yes your highness," Benjamin nodded.
     JF relaid the information to his bodyguards. He then followed Darrel in through the main door with Sebastian, Tom and Allen.

     Once Allen swept through the library for threats, Darrel and the others entered. Robert, Cora, Mary and Henry were already there, having tea.
     "Sebastian," Cora smiled. "Welcome back to Downton."
     "Hello Lady Grantham," Sebastian replied. "I apologize for showing up uninvited. I wanted to surprise Darrel."
     "Don't worry about that, you are welcome anytime."
     Sebastian gave her a grateful nod, then gestured to JF.
     "May I present to you my cousin: His Excellency Don Juan Fernando Carlos. Although everyone calls him JF," Sebastian introduced.
     "It's very nice to meet you all," JF grinned. "Thank you for letting us stay here on such short notice."
     "Well, Mama said that Sebastian's allowed here anytime. She didn't say anything about you," Mary smirked.
     JF stared at Mary with a stunned expression, while Sebastian and Darrel couldn't help but laugh.
     "Mary, don't be so rude to our guest!" Cora gasped, "Your Excellency, you are of course welcome to stay here whenever you wish."
     "Y pronto aprenderás a ignorar las travesuras de Mary," Sebastian added. "Ella es asi con todas"
     JF managed to crack a smile, as Robert approached them and shook the Carlos' hands. Sebastian's body tensed, but Lord Grantham gave him a genuine look of respect.
     "It's good to see you again Sebastian," Robert nodded.
     "Thank you my lord," Sebastian replied. "It means a lot to hear you say that."
     "Well, you are my daughter's fiancé. And, I can see how happy you make each other."
     Sebastian smiled and took Darrel's hand in his.
     "That didn't stop you from punching him in the face," Mary commented. "You do seem to like punching people."
     "Stop causing trouble," Henry advised, which caused his wife to roll her eyes.
     "Darrel, why don't you help our guests settle in?" Cora suggested. "Then afterwards His Excellency might appreciate a tour of the grounds."
     "Sure," she replied, and left the room followed by the Spanish men.
     "Why are you always trying to cause trouble?" Robert demanded.
     "Would you relax?" Mary sighed. "We're going to be seeing a lot more of them. They'll be part of this family soon enough."
     "Well they're not yet. So stop scaring them off," Tom advised.
     "Fine."