Chapter Three | Lord Grantham's Shame

When Darrel returned to Downton Abbey, she entered the house and found that everyone was in the main hall

When Darrel returned to Downton Abbey, she entered the house and found that everyone was in the main hall. The family sat in chairs that someone set up, while the servants stood behind them. Even Violet, Isobel, and Dickie were there; and they did not even live at Downton Abbey. Robert was in front of everyone, pacing back and forth (followed by Teo). He looked up as Darrel entered but she avoided his gaze.

"Ah, good. You are back in one piece," Robert nodded. "Please, sit down."

Darrel took a seat in between Edith and Tom, as Robert continued to walk up and down the hall, with everyone watching him.

"Do you know what this is about?" Edith whispered to her younger sister.

Darrel shrugged; she had an idea, but she did not want to say it aloud in case she was wrong.

"I am sure that you are all curious as to why Lady Darrel had to go up to Buckingham Palace this afternoon," Robert announced to the hall, finally ceasing his pacing. "Since I do not want you all gossiping, I will explain everything to you."

"Robert, how could you possibly know why Darrel went up to London?" Cora inquired. "She just came back!"

"I know very well why Darrel went to London. Don't I, Darrel?"

His youngest daughter nodded, not quite able to look him in the eyes. Darrel felt as if she would never see Robert the same way again; she was so disappointed in him.

"Well," Robert sighed, "fourteen years ago, I was not as devoted to Cora as I should have been. So, I had an affair; and Darrel is the result."

The room filled with gasps, and some of the servants began to whisper amongst themselves.

"Robert!" Cora exclaimed. "They did not need to know that! We discussed it before. I forgave you, and Darrel grew up as my daughter."

"But, I never told you who I had the affair with."

"So? I hardly see how that is important. Especially fourteen years later."

"Mama, will you just let him finish his story?" Mary said, exasperated. She wanted to hear what Robert had to say, and Cora kept interrupting. "I am sure he has an explanation for this."

"Thank you, Mary," Robert nodded. "As I was trying to say; fourteen years ago I had an affair, and Darrel is the result. My affair was with Her Majesty, Queen Mary of Teck. And since the Prince of Wales cannot produce an heir, Darrel is next in line for the throne."

"What?" Edith cried. "That cannot be possible! It must be a mistake!"

"Do you think I would say it if it were not true? Do you think that I am proud of this? I am not!"

"Why would you not tell me this?" Cora asked.

"I thought it was bad enough that I cheated on you," Robert shrugged. "I didn't want you to know with whom. Besides, when Darrel was born, I agreed to raise her on the condition that I never bring her back to the palace."