Chapter 33-Amara Aries

I helped Annabelle pack. She didn't have much stuff. Only a letter from her mother, including her birth certificate and a letter from the new queen. She showed the birth certificate to us last night and we had joked about it. Raelynn layed out black pants, a white blouse and a black coat with matching boots for Belle to wear tomorrow.

Phoenix sat cross-legged near the glass door and stared at the Stars , her fingers playing with the phoenix-bull pendant around her neck.

I grinned at her, hands on my hips. "What are you doing?" My voice was hoarse and eyes were swollen from crying each night. I would have guessed she was Stargazing but her Constellation didn't move a Star.

"Wishing that Belle would let us go with her to Virgus," she answered, eyes glued to the sky.

"She's letting me and Lewis go," I told. "We're taking her to her house in Hydrus first and then to the graveyard in Crimsyn State."

Her head snapped in my direction. "Is that a good idea?" She exchanged looks with Raelynn, who was brushing her already perfect hair in front of the vanity.

I blinked back the tears and nodded. I tried not to think of Lyra and how I was missing her funeral.

"What are those?" Raelynn pointed at the blue file flooding out papers, set on the desk. Rasal was curled up in the corner, eyes closed. probably trying to grow back his Star Stones.

"Admission forms," I answered, picking up the heavy file.

"You have to get readmission for school?" Phoenix knitted her eyebrows.

"Yes, I missed a lot and I have to start again."

I didn't want to go back home. I wanted to continue my plan to study here. I still hadn't filled them out.

"Are you staying in Virgus for long?" Phoenix asked.

I had a few months before the new semester started so I planned to stay with Belle until then.

Before I answered, the bathroom door opened and Belle stepped out in her nightgown. Raelynn rushed inside before Phoenix could.

"I forgot to tell you," Belle said to me, falling on the bed. "Alec offered to come to Virgus."

Phoenix and I stared at her. "You're not separating from him?"

"We took back our Signs this morning. But he wants to be there for the delivery and-" she trailed off. Rasal slithered up in her lap. She swallowed and gave an imperceptible shake of her head. "But he's just going to drop me off before settling in with Hellen."

"I wanted to ask. . ." I sat down at the edge of the bed. "I have a few months before university, so can I stay with you in Virgus?"

"I don't mind, of course. But I thought you would spend that time with your family."

You need me more than they do, I wanted to say to her. I lowered my gaze, eyes pooled with tears. She sat up.

"It's okay, you can stay as long as you want," she offered. I tried to smile. I quickly changed into my nightgown and closed my eyes. Belle lay on the other side of the bed. Raelynn and Phoenix were sleeping on the two sofas. I mostly ran to the bathroom in the middle of the night or pass the hours crying on the balcony after I was sure everyone was asleep. I read material from the enormous glass bookcase next to the desk stacked with paper and maps to distract myself. I avoided sleep as long as I could and roused early since I didn't want to see the two most painful deaths in my nightmares.

I Stargazed and spied on Crimsyn State with binoculars, getting a glimpse of Aries sometimes. I didn't complain about the long dresses I had to wear, though it was optional I tried not to be picky at this time.