Revenge

Another town hall meeting.

So, I broke into the school petting zoo and killed the rabbits. Big deal! They were delicious. Fear makes the blood rush faster through the veins, which makes the meat really juicy. I brought back the livers for Mumster, and she fried them with apples and onions, and she didn't scold me but said well done, Ferris, which made me really happy.

But the townhall-people are not happy.

They are so attached to animals, and yet they don't like me. It doesn't make any sense.

Still, I worry about Mumster going there, and I follow her out all the way to the car.

"But you always say they don't listen to you anyway. So what's the point?"

"I'll give it another try."

Mumster is very cheerful. Maybe that's what scares me. I prefer her when she's grumpy and annoyed at everybody, except at me.

"Where did the white cans go?" I ask. I don't know why I ask this now. They have been vanishing from our garage one by one, and when I checked this afternoon, the last one was gone.

"What cans?" Mumster says and straightens her collar. She checks her teeth for lipstick in the car window. "How do I look?"

"Very pretty, Mumster."

It's true. Mumster is the most beautiful woman in the world.

"Thank you, Ferris. Now, you go back inside and lock the door. And no matter what, you stay inside, alright?"

"Alright."

She looks at me intently.

"I want you to promise me."

I swallow and nod.

"Promise," I say. I can barely hear my own voice, but Mumster is satisfied. She knows when she can trust me.

She kisses me goodbye, and I watch until her car disappears around the corner. I go back inside and lock the door, just like I promised. 

I try to read a comic book, but I can't concentrate, so I go and sit at the window and look out towards the town hall. I can see its pointy copper roof from my bedroom, and I keep my eyes on it almost without blinking. 

The night falls and everything turns dark. But then I see the dark sky turn bright as day, and the flames dancing high. It is an eerie sight. I keep my window closed. I don't hear any sounds. It looks like a silent movie, so maybe it is not really happening.

I keep thinking about what Mumster said right before she left.

"If they are scared of the wolf, then they should be terrified of the woman who birthed him."

And I swear, I saw a yellow glimmer in her eyes, but maybe it was just the moon.

THE END

Thank you for Reading, Voting and Commenting!!