Chapter 1

Arnav hurriedly shut his bedroom door, a last resort to escape from the Diwali party downstairs. He had been feeling as if he was sinking into the deep and there was no one there to rescue him. He tried so hard to mask his feelings, but he knew he was becoming undone, bit by bit. He ran his fingers through his hair as he sat on the edge of the bed, trying to push away the uneasiness that washed over his body. He couldn't stop thinking about her! Ever since he saw her walk into the party earlier, it was as if she had taken up residence inside his head. She was everywhere and his eyes followed her like a moth near a flame. What the hell was happening to him? He shook his head and got up, he had to do something or else he would go crazy.

His eyes settled on the reflection of the water in the pool right outside his room. He took a deep breath and strolled through his French doors that led to the pool. Being near water was just what he needed to calm his racing thoughts. It was quite ironic that his name meant the ocean and water was the one thing that gave him peace and answers whenever he felt lost.

The determination to calm his thoughts vanished as he stopped in his stride upon seeing the person who ruled his thoughts, right in front of him, outside his room at his poolside. She was placing deyas alongside the rim of his pool, with her back towards him. He couldn't see her face, but he kept his gaze fixated on her. She was stunning, clad in his favourite shade, a deep red saree, one that he had designed himself. His sister had gifted it to her he had later found out. Her hair flowing freely as it met with the Delhi breeze and her bangles humming softly as she moved.

Khushi felt a sudden change in the air, something was different, she could sense it in her body. The sound of someone clearing their throat made her quickly stand up and turn to the person. The smile that lingered on her face vanished. There he was, the man she had been avoiding all night, standing at an arm's length in front of her. She had kept her distance from him since she had arrived, successfully avoiding throughout the party, until now. Her breath quivered as she met his eyes. Before she could stop herself, his name escaped her lips in a whisper"Arnavji..."

He blinked and his lips curved into a smile hearing her call his name. His hands touched the anklet hidden inside his pants pocket. A few days ago, he had found it right at his poolside, he had immediately recognized it and kept it safe ever since. Only this evening, he had found out that the anklet had belonged to her late mother, the only thing she had left from her. He wanted to return it to her, but couldn't muster the courage to, till now.

He took a step towards her causing her to move back hesitantly. Their eyes remained on each other as their feet found synchronization, as he moved forward and she moved back again.

As Khushi stared into his eyes, they revealed determination which scared her. She thought to herself, 'Is he feeling something? Is he feeling what I'm feeling? What was it that continuously pushed them closer just as they tried to distance themselves from each other?'

She stepped back once again as his feet moved towards her, although this time she felt the wall against her back. She inhaled deeply, knowing that she had no escape now, she was trapped between him and the wall. He was so close to her, almost touching her. She looked away from him, feeling his eyes burning her skin.

Arnav raised his hand to caress her cheek while his other hand settling against the wall. His touch against Khushi's face, made her shudder, she took a deep breath and lifted her eyes to meet his gaze. Finally, able to look at her properly, he gently shifted her fringes away from her eyes. He grazed his fingers against her lips, making her lips tremble. She clutched the sides of her saree, as she felt her heartbeat racing in her chest.