Chapter 5

Lilia

I saw my mother sitting beside me. I'm lying down here in my room. She's crying. She held my hand.

"Thank God you're now awake." she whispered.

The missiles

I immediately rise and was about to walk but my mother stopped me. "What are you doing, honey? You should rest." she said.

"But Mom, South East Asia is in danger! We were riding the USS California when the Japanese forces suddenly bombed the Pearl Harbor. They will attack South East Asia next! We have to warn them!" She looks confused.

"What are you saying? Yes, Japanese forces bombed Pearl harbor but," She suddenly stopped.

"But what?" I asked.

"They attacked Pearl harbor seventy-five years ago. Honey, that had happened in World War II." she said.

"No, I don't believe you. We have to save them, Mom. I have to save Jose. I have to save him." I cried in her arms.

I just can't believe this! Although he didn't told me that he loves me, he has to be saved.

She wiped my tears and looked at me. "Who's Jose, honey?" I just shook my head. It would be better if only I had known.

"Just forget what I've said, Mom. I just want to know what had happened." I asked.

"The coast guards saw you on a small boat. A fisherman found you so he brought you to his boat. When we saw you, you were wearing a coat and you were no longer wearing your black dress. We wondered why you were wearing it but we thought what's more important is that you were alive. You were comatose for three days. Sometimes I hear you mention the name Jose and sometimes saw you crying."

It's all just a dream but it seems true. "Where's the coat, Mom?" She handed me the coat and I put it on.

I asked if I could go to the terrace. She consented and left me alone.

I just let the wind blow my hair. I put my hands in the pocket and I grabbed something. I pulled it out and saw a picture of the two of us. I was just in tears. If that was only a dream, I will never want to wake up.

He was the best thing that ever happened to me. During those three days, I was just so happy. I wish I had the opportunity to tell him that I loved him even before I woke up. If only.

I looked at the beautiful ocean view. No matter where he is, I know he's happy. I just hugged our picture as tears trickled down.

I accept that we are never really together. I wish I could have been with him for the rest of our lives but we weren't really meant for each other. We were met but not destined for each other. I heaved a deep sigh.

I already accepted that it's just a dream but how did the coat came here? I went back in the present but the clothes I was wearing came back to the present, too. Was that really a dream? Maybe I'm just playing with destiny. I'll never forget him no matter what.

Ten years have passed and much has changed. I continued my studies and took a medical course. I want to fulfill all his dreams so I'm a doctor now.

I have also set up hospitals in towns that are a bit far from our city, Los Angeles. I made other hospitals public so that the residents would not be in trouble.

I asked my friend what do the words mahal kita kahit na tatlong araw pa lang tayong nagkakilala mean. She told me that it's I love you even if I had only known you for three days in English. I cried again at that time. I immediately seeked some informations about Nuestra Señora de las Angustias in some websites and I had read some articles saying that it has been destroyed due to World War II.

I was so hurt when I found out. Only walls were left. I know he may have died in that war but there is still a part of my heart that hopes he will return.

I said nothing about him. I want to keep him in my mind. I'm always hoping that he will come here in our country. I once disobey my father because of him. Hunter courted me one year after I woke up but I didn't answered him.

My father was angry but I didn't still obey what he wanted. We fought that time and I almost told him about Jose.

I'm standing here on the terrace of our new house. There are so many stars in the sky. I remembered the night when he told me about his favorite star. I looked at it.

It is still bright as we were together. It's brightness never fades.

The cold wind suddenly blew. I just hugged the coat I was wearing today. I always wear this coat whenever I'm sad or I remember him.

I always wanted to still wait for him but it's too late. I felt Hunter hugging me in the back. We were married last month. I don't know but I learned to like him over the days.

I love Jose but I still married Hunter. Even if what I did was not right, he will always be here in my heart.

I hid our picture with a letter that I want him to read. I wrote what I wanted to say to him. How much I love him and how special he is to me.

I feel as if I am being embraced by the wind.

I remembered back then, I wanted to know what lies beyond the ocean. Now I know the answer to that question.

Hapiness and never-ending love lie beyond it.

Jose made me feel that way. He showed me what life is worth. He taught me not to give up right away no matter what. I just sighed. Suddenly, my tears flowed as I accepted the fact that he would never return to me.

"Let's sleep. We will meet the man who saved you tomorrow." he whispered to my ears.

Hunter walks by me. I am finally going to meet the man who saved my life. The thought makes me laugh. A fisher man saved me just like Jose. Everything that I do, reminds me of him.

We entered the living room and I saw my family happily talking to man. When they saw us, my father walked to me with a man beside him.

"Lily, Hunter, this is Joseph. He lives in the Philippines so I ordered my men to fetch him and brought him here." my father said. I just nodded then smiled without laying a glance at the man.

Philippines?

"Honey, I will just go to them so you can talk with him." Hunter said then kissed me on my cheeks. I just smiled at him then he walked away.

"Thank you for saving my life, Joseph. I really owe you my life. I don't know what will happen to me if you didn't save me." I said without even looking at him.

I don't know but I can't find the courage to look at him. But his words made my eyes lay on him.

"You're very welcome, Lilia."

My tears drop from my eyes when I saw his face, when I saw him smiling at me. He literally looks like him.

---
Maraming salamat nga pala kina Alessandra, Randall, Romulo, Paula, Yanne, Ianjan, Alexa, at ni Sorell Aslanor!