Chapter 1

Sinking

My father has won the election for president here in our country, United States of America, and we are here at the cruise ship to celebrate the happening. I'm sitting here with my family. They are so happy. Well, they should be.

But I am not. I know that our life might be at risk once we enter that political society. Some of the opponents of my father really have wrath toward us. They are so happy while holding a glass full of wine.

We are four in our family. I'm the eldest and I have a little brother named Sebastian. They've decided to celebrate this at a cruise ship that will voyage around the Pacific Ocean. The cruise ship's name is M/V Oceanic. Well, I don't really care about it's name.

I'm afraid that our life will be ruined because we are now part of the noble families. And I also know that there might be some gossips that will ruin our name.

"Let's toast for our new president and for our country!" the former president said.

We are all wearing a formal attire for this event. I just wore a black gown that suits my black hair. They all toasted and drank the wine. Sebastian is now asleep in the cabin. I didn't toast because I don't drink liquor.

I'm starting to get bored so I stood up and went outside the hall. While I am walking, I saw a quote on the wall.

"I believe that two people are connected at the heart, and it doesn't matter what you do, or who you are or where you live; there are no boundaries or barriers if two people are destined to be together."
                             Julia Roberts

I don't believe in destiny or whatsoever. I don't believe unless I experience that. I continued walking, stood on the deck and looked at the night sky. It's so peaceful here, far from our noisy city.

I can feel the cold wind embracing me. As I look at the ocean, something bothers me.

What lies beyond the ocean?

I mean, I know that there's always an island beyond that vast ocean but I just want to know something. Something that I, myself, can't even explain.

I heaved a deep sigh before going back in the hall. I was walking back when something caught my eye. There's a small bag on the corner of the deck. I went near to it.  I slowly opened it and what I saw made me shocked.

It's like a time bomb and there are only ten minutes left before it explodes. I hurriedly stood up and ran toward the hall. I have to warn them.

But something made me stop. I'm at the entrance of the hall and I saw another small bags every corner of the hall. They are hidden by the lights and some plants. Does it means that this cruise ship is full of bombs?

"Mom!" She looked at me with a surprise face.

"What's the matter, honey?" she said.

"Mom, there's a bomb on the corner of the deck and as I ran toward here, I saw some bombs  every corner of this hall! We have to get out of here!"

All of them went silent. They all looked at me. The former president gave an apology for what I have said while my father is walking fastly toward me.

"What are you talking about, Lily?! What you've said is not a joke!" he whispered while dragging me outside the hall.

"Dad, I'm not joking! There are only ten minutes left before it explodes! I saw it on the corner of the deck! Dad, please listen to me." I begged.

He immediately went to the deck and searched for the bomb. He was shocked when he saw it. He passed by me and headed back inside. I went after him.

"Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention? What my daughter have said is true. Please remain calm and listen to me. There are one thousand lifeboats here in the ship and for those who don't know how to swim, there are eight hundred life jackets for you. Raise your hand if you don't know how to swim." he said.

The bodyguards are now distributing the life jackets and they wear it immediately. All of us went outside the hall. The crew of the ship are now slowly bringing down the lifeboats that are being loaded by the passengers on the ocean.

All of them are on the ocean now. Our family will be the last to go down. My mother sat down and so did my father. But I remain standing. My father slowly pulled the rope that will bring the boat on the ocean.

"Lily, sit down now." my mother said but I shook my head. "Why, dear?" she added.

"Where's Sebastian?" I asked. Their faces changed. I immediately ran to the cabin and wake him up.

"Sebastian! We have to go!" I carried him and ran as fast as I can.

"Hurry, Lily!" my father shouted. They are on the ocean now. I looked back and saw that there is no enough time for me to ride the boat.

"Dad, catch him!" I throw Sebastian to them and fortunately, they are able to catch him.

"Lily, jump!" my father shouted.

I was about to jump when I heard a loud explosion and then I just felt the cold ocean drowning me.