Chapter 4

Hibiscus

"Laura! Nakauwi ka na pala galing Maynila?" (Laura! You just got home from Manila?) he said as he walk to her.

I can't hear their conversation. They're talking and laughing. Maybe she's the girl whom he likes. She's stunning and has a lovely smile. I can see happiness in their eyes.

I was surprised when Romulo and his friends suddenly showed up.

"Oy! Mukhang may nagseselos!" (It looks like someone is jealous!) Berting said then they all laughed.

"He said that you're jealous." Romulo said.

"No, I'm not. Why would I? Who's that girl by the way?" They pulled some chairs then sat in front of me.

"We pity you. You're his wife but you didn't even know who is that girl?!" Romulo said. He's teasing me and I don't like it.

"Sabihin mo na kasi! Kung marunong pa lang akong mag-ingles, ako na lang ang magsasabi sa kaniya." (Just tell her! If only I know how to speak English, I will tell her myself.) Karlos said.

"Okay. She is Laura, his childhood bestfriend. Their parents are friends and that is one of the reasons why they knew each other. When we were young, we always teased them. They're always playing. We know that they loved each other. Jose once told us that he wanted to confess his feelings to her but when he was about to do it, Laura suddenly went away. Their family decided to lived in Manila. We were even surprised that both of you are married even if he loves Laura."

"Does he really love her?" I asked and Romulo just nodded.

"By the way, we're not married with each other. He was just lying." I said. I want to go home now.

"What?!" He exclaimed. I stood up then ran away from them.

I suddenly held my chest. My heart is aching so I decided to stop from running. It seems like thousands of needles are stabbing my heart. I went to the seashore and sat on a big rock.

I cried without even knowing the reason why. Am I jealous? Am I in love with him? I heaved a sigh. I wiped my tears away.

I shouldn't be in love with him. I don't want them to feel miserable because of me. I want them to be happy. I admit that it hurts me when I heard that they're in love with each other. It really hurts me knowing that I'm just an ordinary girl for him.

But why does he always hold my hand? Is it all just a pretend? Yes, of course. I stood up and went immediately to the fountain at the park. It's all just a pretend but I fell. I took the coin that the old woman gave me.

"I want to go home." I said then I threw the coin into the fountain.

My tears suddenly dropped. I've never felt this way before. And I never expected that I'll experience this in such an  unforeseen situation.

I just stayed there at the park, sitting on a bench. A priest suddenly sat next to me. I wiped my tears away. "You're his wife, right?" he asked then I just nodded. No one should know the truth.

"Then why are you crying? Tell me what you feel. It will help you feel calm." I took a deep breath then started talking.

"He's with Laura. I just don't know but it hurts me seeing him with some other girl. His friends told me that they love each other." He suddenly laughed.

"You know, marriage is a difficult situation. It should be taken seriously. It's normal to feel jealous when you see your husband with some other girl. But remember, if you love him, you should trust him with all of your heart. Jealousy is inevitable but what is the point of getting married if you can't trust your husband?"