34 In Truth As Well As Name 3/4

Start from the beginning

"Hmmm..." I pondered, as the tent flaps swung back into place behind him. "I've never known a man to get embarrassed for being too big before..."

"Your lack of conscience is abhorrent," said Kageyama in disgust. The kitsune rose as well and followed Zakhar out of the tent. I heard the sounds of both men moving around to get ready for the day.

"What was it I said?" I asked the prince beside me.

Sanli lay back, and pulled me with him, and then the bear skin on top of us. I was grateful, as I did not want to go out into the cold just yet.

"Ao, you do realize that Zakhar... has interest in you, don't you? As a man takes interest in a woman?"

I snorted. "Of course he does. Most men have interest in me. You and the kitsune are rare exceptions."

Sanli cleared his throat. "Well, have you considered that sometimes... given Zakhar's feelings towards you... your actions may not be kind?"

"Men enjoy being mistreated."

Sanli sighed, and pulled me against him. I heard the sound of pans outside, and our bronze kettle being set on stone, as Zakhar and Kageyama prepared breakfast.

"Nevermind," said the prince.

*~*~*~*~*~*

That evening we camped within a small ridge made by black stone jutting up through the landscape. Shards of the dark rock rose around our camp like dark sentinels, dwarfing our horses.

After we had eaten, a small, dull meal of dried vegetable soup and hard bread, I went for a short walk, exploring among the crevices and cracks between the giant stones

While doing so, I made a glorious discovery.

"There are hot springs!" I cried out, waving my hands like a mad woman as I scrambled down the rocks and back into camp.

"Why do you think we stopped here?" asked Kageyama irritably.

"At last," I said, voice desperate. "At last I will be clean." I hurried to where the piebald... where In'yii's saddle lay, and dug out a thin cotton towel from the saddle bag as well as clean under garments.

"Ao..." Sanli cautioned. "It will soon be dark, and my boundary doesn't extend that far. You should wait till morning, when it's safer."

"Not a chance," I said. "If you are so worried, join me." I gave a wink and walked away, towel over one shoulder.

The hot spring was small, not big enough for more than two men, and wedged amongst the jagged black rocks. I stripped off my clothes and slipped in in one breath.