CHAPTER FORTY

he likes it cold

he likes it cold

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

The impromptu group of potential-world savers gathered around the dining room table, Alina beside Eleven and Gabe beside Max as they formulated what to do next. Hopper explained what he'd seen of the gate when he was at the lab, as they now knew that they had to close it to save Will. Alina had given him a death glare when he'd reentered with Mike, whose eyes were red and puffy, but she didn't yell at him, obviously realizing that there were more important tasks at hand. Gabe could tell that she wanted to, though. Could tell she was itching to tell him how much she'd missed her friend, how much she'd cried after she'd 'died'. He didn't even know her that well, but her face made it quite clear.

He couldn't believe he was still here. He knew he could go home right now—that he should, considering how worried his grandparents probably were about him, considering he'd been gone all day—but he refused to. The world could be ending, and he would be incredibly stupid if he went home and just let it be destroyed all around him. Whatever he could possibly do, no matter how small, to help prolong this Armageddon was worth staying for. Plus, he knew he couldn't look into everyone's eyes and tell them he was leaving. Tell them that he was giving up—on Will, on the party, on the Demodogs that now roamed Hawkins.

He didn't want to give up, anyway.

"It's not like it was before," Hopper said. "It's grown. A lot. And I mean, that's considering we can get in there. The place is crawling with those dogs."

"Demodogs," Dustin corrected, seeming unable to resist himself.

Hopper turned to look at him, his blue hospital scrubs peeking out from his jacket. Neither he nor Joyce had changed out of the bloodied uniforms, and Bob had never gotten the opportunity. "I'm sorry, what?"

"I said uh, Demodogs," said Dustin, his voice getting quieter at Hopper's intense stare. "Like Demogorgon and dogs. Like, you put them together, it sounds pretty badass—"

"How is this important right now?" Hopper asked.

Dustin looked away sheepishly. "It's not. I'm sorry." Gluing his eyes to the floor, his cheeks slowly turned red, and Gabe reached over to rub his shoulder sympathetically. Dustin looked grateful at the gesture.