CHAPTER FOURTEEN

caught between two slides

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

Going trick-or-treating with Max actually turned out to be quite a lot of fun. Although Alina hadn't wanted her to come in the first place, now that they were friends, it was a better experience than she thought it would be. She was still a little frustrated with Dustin and Lucas for inviting her without the rest of the party's permission, but she tried to forget that as she roamed the streets of Hawkins, collecting candy. It was nice to have another girl in the group, too.

Alina swung her pillowcase happily as she followed after her four Ghostbuster friends to another house. Technically, she and Will were breaking Jonathan's word and straying out of the neighborhood, but they wouldn't let him know about that. Loch Nora really was the best place to go trick-or-treating, which was demonstrated by the size of the candy bars that begun to weigh down their bags as the night continued. Long gone were the small 3 Musketeers bars they'd gotten earlier. These were full-sized candy bars.

Alina, Max, Lucas and Dustin were having fun, but as Alina looked back at Mike, she realized he wasn't. He was slumping behind, his lips turned down in a frown, and his 'trick-or-treats' barely had any energy to them. He didn't even look excited when he got a full-size Kit-Kat—his favorite. Max. It was the presence of Max. A twinge of guilt went through Alina. She should've told him about what Lucas and Dustin had done.

But it really wasn't her business. And if he was going to mope on the best night of the year—now Alina was experiencing why, exactly, Mike had called it that—that was his business. He hadn't even talked to Max yet. He didn't have any information on her and he had already formed a negative opinion about her. It was wrong.

As Alina and her friends left another house, Dustin was grinning. "Another full size," he said, staring into his pillowcase, which was almost filled up all the way. "Like, seriously, rich people are such suckers." Then he quickly turned to Max. "Wait. You're not rich, right?"

He, Lucas, Max and Alina all were up front, while Mike and Will trailed slightly behind, talking. Although Mike wasn't enjoying himself, Will seemed to be, and Alina hoped he was trying to cheer him up.