Chapter 16

Arnav was working in his room, late at night, to wind up few things before he gets busy with his pre- marriage rituals. Khushi's acceptance to the marriage put him out of misery, but a part of his mind reeled to their conversation in the boutique.

'Where is my consent Arnav?'

Her question reverberated in his mind, the truth in her words, pushing him into guilt. They had proceeded for the marriage without seeking her permission. He felt blessed to have Khushi in his life, who agreed to it, rather than throwing a tantrum.

Though Khushi had no qualms, he felt the need to apologise on behalf of everyone. He mentally thanked Khushi for opening his eyes, which were blinded by the urge to make her confess to him.

While he was busy in his thoughts, he heard a faint knock, not on his door, but on the door to the mini garden, adjacent to his room.

He frowned and stepped closer to check, only to find the person who occupied his thoughts, gesturing him to open.

Scrunching his brows in confusion, at the odd timing of her presence, he opened the door letting her in.

'I guess you can enter someone's room through the main door', he cocked his brows, mocking.

She huffed and sat on his bed, while he stood next to her, wondering what her crazy mind was busy brewing.

'There is a chance that I would be caught, which I do not want right now', she answered him.

'Okay!' Arnav agreed and asked, 'What brings you here at this hour?'

'Why? Only you can barge into my room late at night? Can't I?' She retorted back, crossing her arms, pouting that left Arnav chuckling. She was always cute feigning anger.

He raised his arms in surrender and said, 'Fine.'

Khushi looked around, fidgeting, her chirpy self suddenly turning into anxious form.

'I need to tell you something!' She spoke timidly.

'Even I need to!' Arnav said, as he wanted to apologise. The sooner he does that, the better he would feel.

'Ladies first, Arnav', she admonished, and he relented.

She stood up abruptly and instructed, 'Close your eyes. And do not open them until I tell you to'.

'But..' he started to protest but her pout shut him up instantly.

With his closed eyes, he heard some shuffling in his room, while he awaited for her craziness to be put into action.

'Open your eyes', she huffed, taking deep breaths, as if she just ran a marathon.

'Arnav! You have been my anchor since childhood, my best friend and my confidant. I still wonder how you seek me out, whenever I shut myself from everyone. My craziness bothers you a lot, but never for once, were you annoyed. I made you promise several illogical things, still you did it all, just for me. You tolerate my cranky self, abide by my all wishes. Sometimes, I feel you know me better than I do. You always put me on top of your priority list, just like today, and go to any lengths for my sake. I tarnished your name by calling you 'Annav', but still you let me have that privilege, which you never sanctioned anyone else doing the same. Your rejection was a blow which I could not handle, and I shut you out completely. Still you endured it all, without any complaint. If we are together today, its all because of your perseverance. Though your ways of bringing me back were crooked, it just made me realise that I had to stand for my love', Khushi paused for a while and looked at Arnav whose eyes were wide as saucers, at the unexpected confession from her. There was anticipation, wonder, amusement, mirth visible in his orbs that gave contentment to Khushi's soul. She indeed did the right thing! He deserved this!