Chapter 14

'Yes! It hurts. A lot', she gulped. 'It hurts because I am stuck up in the same place. It hurts because I could not move on. It hurts because you mean something to me. It hurts because you dont feel the same. It hurts because you failed my love. It hurts because you were sympathetic towards me. It hurts because ...' after a silent pause, she said, 'It hurts because I loved you, I still love you and probably always will'.

She confessed giving up on her resolve. She had had enough and she could not fight anymore. She could not put up a facade of being happy, of being ignorant. She felt a huge burden lift off from her heart, while she sat still weeping, lamenting over her fate. But she missed to notice the other person in the room whose lips were curved in a soft smile, finally achieving that he wanted. That one confession from Khushi was all he ever needed as a push, and finally when it came, he was on cloud nine. His efforts paid off, though not completely in the way he expected.

The next thing they both knew was, Khushi cradled in Arnav's arms, one bubbling with joy, the other puzzled with confusion!

Slowly, Khushi wrapped her arms around him as his grip on her did not seem to loosen, herself drowning into the peace of her mind as she confessed her inner feelings that were subdued in her heart for long!

Resting one of her cheeks on his shoulder, she let the tears cascade down her eyes, wetting his shirt in the process, her eyes shut along with the rational part of her mind, basking in the warmth of the touch she craved since years!

A few seconds later, when her tears dried up, the sane part of her mind started to work and she pushed Arnav away from her, so hard that he had to stumble back in puzzlement.

'Khushi?' There was question in his tone, bewilderment in his eyes and disappointment mixed with anger in his nerves, for having to break the beautiful moment that finally transpired between them!

Before he could seek his answers for pushing him away from her, Khushi spoke, 'Stop right there Arnav!' She gestured with her hands.

'This is wrong! This is totally wrong! I could not do this! I cannot do this to Di! This is completely wrong!' She was growing hysterical and Arnav could not halt himself anymore.

He reached her immediately, palming her cheeks, wiping her tears that were uncontrollably flowing down, pushing him deep into the pit of guilt for making her go through so much.

'Khushi, please dont cry! Shh..' He tried his best to soothe her, in vain.

She again shoved off his hands, and continued, 'I cant do this to Di. I should not have said anything. This is wrong, Arnav!' She screamed finally, disappointed at herself for breaking the vow she made to herself, to not let her feelings for Arnav surface!

'Khushi listen you need to know something', Arnav's grip was tight on her shoulders, his voice determinant.

'No!' She yelled again. 'Why dont you understand Arnav? This is a sin! You should not be here! You should leave! Di will be here anytime!'

He finally stared at her, his eyes boring into her hysteric ones, his jaw clenched.

'Miss Khushi Sharma! There is something you ought to know! I am not getting married to Pankhuri!'

'What? Are you mad? How can you do this to Di? She loves you!' Bellowed Khushi frustrated.

'Of course she loves me Khushi!' Arnav roared, silencing her. 'But just as a best friend!' He emphasised on the fact.

'What?' A whisper left Khushi's mouth, while she stood staring at him quizzically.

'Yes! She is getting married to Adi! Not me!' He asserted, trying hard to curb the arousing anger. She was too adamant to listen to him!