[luke ross]

[for this imagine your name is kenzie]

"thank you so much jessie, for allowing my daughter to stay for the week

"thank you so much jessie, for allowing my daughter to stay for the week." my foster mother, nancy presses a kiss to the side of my head. i've been living with nancy and her family for a while, the best family i've been with so far.

it was weird that i was the only one sent off to stay with someone while the others were going? i never put much thought into it about it, those are their blood children, i'm just a foster kid.

emma came down the steps, already linking her arm with mine, "let's go, kenz." she literally dragged me up the stairs, we passed luke on the way. he sent off a wave, and i sent one back quickly before i could even disappear.

i got settled into emma's room, luckily i wasn't crashing on an air mattress, it was another bed placed in her room already. i laid down on the bed, sighing. "should we do our nails first? toes? or watch a movie?!"

woah there hun, i'm here all week. we have time.

i thought to myself then proceeded to answer emma, "Ems, we have the whole week, we can do it all! but first, let me rest. we were bunched up in that car and my back hurts."

throughout that whole day, it consists of what emma wanted to do, she planned a whole schedule, i was hoping i could get a hold of it and toss it out. luke, zuri and ravi laughed and tried to tell me so, but i didn't listen.

"okay, first thing in the morning we have the mask to do—" i cut her off, "we've gone over this a million times, i am not going to forget. now if you'll excuse me, i'm going to get me a juice box, want one?" emma nodded, and i exited out of her bedroom.

going down the stairs, i overhear jessie on the phone. "Ms. Marshall, i cannot be the one to break the news to her."

Ms. Marshall? what is Hilary calling jessie for?

Hilary was the woman who was ahead of my case, she's the reason i'm with this wonderful family. But it's still weird that it's after 5 PM, and she's calling around 9.

"what do you mean they can't come back and get her?" my ears perked, i had a feeling it was about me. i stood at the end of the steps, waiting to hear more.

something caught my eye and i looked down under the piano, luke was hiding. as i looked to see jessie's back turned, i bent down. "what're you—" he jerked me under, "shh, airhead. i'm trying to listen." he held a finger to his lips.

"she's going to be crush about this, i can't believe they even went through the process of trying to adopt her, and just leave her here. that's really messed up." my breath hitches, i climb from under the piano, luke failing to grab my wrist.

"so they didn't want me?" my voice cracked, luke hopped up, dusting himself off. sadness washed over my face, jessie slowly turned around. "kenz. ." she breathed out.

here comes those tears i've literally been fighting back since i was six. "nobody wants me huh!?" getting louder by every second.

"just great." i said once i didn't receive an answer, the elevator doors were brought opened. "BESSIE! what did i tell you about making noise and allowing your children around me?!"

"Mrs. Chesterfield, now is not a good time." her head bobbing over towards me, i stormed off, wiping my face.

"i'll go after her." luke called out, "kit-kat, wait-" he finally caught up to me, he reached for my wrist.

"luke, please go away." we were in the stairwell, luke faced me to him, he said nothing but wrapped his arms around me. and there i let all my tears out, basically soaking his shirt up.

💜