Chapter Twenty: A Paltry Introduction, Pt 1

Start from the beginning

"Ilysa was the ruling half-elven queen of Hearth-Home, under the alias of Amarin Varsly. She was also better known as the reclusive regent of Falandor. She is a dragon, working under the order of Kryrial." Mordai smiled to all of them, and gestured to the side of the room, where Katerin could not see save for a flickering and pastel glow. "Take a peek if you don't believe me, though I don't suggest you step through."

The elf scoffed as the human woman half turned to regard the portal. "Why would she be allied with the likes of Kryrial? Ilysa has always acted with a large degree of dignity and honor."

"Maybe they share the same interest in worship?" Mordai suggested. "All I know is that they are fond of each other in the bedroom, and that he asked her to attack your citadel. She is too powerful to allow to live."

"That would be regicide," The mustached man said, shifting. "And dragons are no easy being to kill."

The elven woman sniffed, but nodded her agreement.

Mordai laughed. "You would not kill a queen to protect her city? You are vulnerable, Risage, and she will attack again. Everyone has heard the whispers of Ilysa's psychosis. If Kryrial can control her, he controls a vast threat, an unpredictable one."

He paced across Katerin's vision again, and she nearly sprinted to him. She knew better, of course, but that did nothing to sate the urge to stop him from digging whatever hole this was.

"I lack the power to fell a dragon of any standing, with my army as it is." The elf spoke, her impersonal tone turning sour.

The human woman squinted. "I can't do shit about any dragons if they're on land. I've got good ships, but cannons don't reach inside forests."

The two men stayed silent, as though they would rather do anything else than offer lives to face this dragon. Comparatively, Katerin would have guessed them to be of a lower standing, judging not only by their overall silence but also their dress and manner.

"You look as though you have a solution we are too blind to see, and your arrogance is beginning to chafe," said the elven woman, her hair gliding against her gown, as her head tilted. "What do you have to propose?"

Mordai flicked the chain that dangled from one of his horns. "You say you do not have the power to face this dragon, but I know of someone who can rid us all of this problem, without so much as any of you lifting a finger." Everyone was silent as Mordai waited for their anticipation to rise. "And the best news of all is that she's already here." Mordai turned around to face the tunnel in which Katerin hid. "Will you please come out? There's no reason to be shy, and we really could use your input."

Katerin's breath hitched in her throat, but on another glance over the gathered people, they were sparsely armed, except for Mordai. She bit her tongue, and glared, before she rose and stepped forward, resting her hands on her staff.

Mordai smiled turning back to his group with a flourish. "Let me introduce you all to the first lady of Itrea, Katerin Moonshadow. A decorated and celebrated fighter, and a woman with a strong relationship to Sahn-Raidar, and others in prominent places."

"Mordai," Katerin said, ignoring the others in the room. She could not care who they were in the moment.

"Well, get your friends out here. I know they're lurking, and I'm sure you overheard enough to know the topic."

"They'll be here momentarily. Mordai, you need to come with me."

"Where to?" The grin he gave her was one of challenge, and he winked.

"Back to Itrea. You're in over your head, but it you can right some of your wrongs, I'll help you. You can't keep this up."

Mordai scoffed, but took two steps back towards the teleportation circle as Fykes appeared at the tunnel entrance to the room. "As you can see, she's incredibly uncaring of danger, and she has the balls to back it up. She would be a grand ally to us all, in this endeavor."