Chapter 45

Time went on mercilessly, the war appearing to have no end, no matter the losses or the victories on either side. But things were changing; Both the Republic and the Separatists were getting increasingly desperate, and because of it, the Jedi were losing their way. As much as I wanted to deny it, the truth was clear. I didn't even need Obi-Wan to provide the last piece of evidence.

"I assume you disagree, Y/N."

That was the familiar voice that drew me out of my thoughts. My eyes focused, meeting the gaze of Obi-Wan who was intensely staring at me, clearly expecting a negative response.

All I could do was sigh, before I gently shook my head and closed my eyes for a moment in my attempt to gather my thoughts.

"What do you expect me to say, Obi- Wan?" I finally began, opening my eyes to stare into his unusually guarded blue ones, "Normally you'd have my support, but not in this. Not this time." I paused again, knowing fully well that an argument was likely, "You can't do this to Anakin. It will destroy him if he thinks you died and then he finds out that you faked it all just so that he would believe it. By all means, do the mission, but don't deceive Anakin into believing you were murdered in front of him and he couldn't do a thing to save you."

This time, Obi-Wan sighed, "I've thought over this a lot. There's too much at stake, and if Anakin witnessing my death will increase my chances of success, than I'll do what needs to be done." His tone was soft, yet determined and seeming to offer no room for argument.

"Then why are you even telling me about your top secret bounty hunter mission?" I started again, my voice rising only by a fraction, "You should have chosen to deceive me. Anakin won't be able to accept your death, you know that." Though after I had said it, I knew why he had chosen Anakin instead of me. Simply put, even if I witnessed Obi-Wan's fake death, I would still feel his presence. Anakin however, would be blinded by his grief and rage. Whilst I also would have been, my connection to Obi-Wan was slightly different.

"You underestimate him." He paused, seeming to be contemplating on whether to say something, before he finally added, "And it's far more believable for it to be Anakin, instead of you. I trained him from a young age. Dooku and The Separatists know how close we are."

"Maybe." I conceded that point, "But I would have thought you knew your old Padawan better than this." The words seemed harsh, even to my own ears, "When Shmi almost died, he was going to wipe out an entire camp of Tusken Raiders. Not just the men, but the women and the children too. I was only just able to stop him because he knew Shmi would survive, but I won't be able to do anything if he witnesses your 'death'. He'll be out for blood and I doubt anyone will be able to stop him." I pointed out, believing it to be obvious.

"And that reaction will make everyone believe that my death was real. Anything less and it wouldn't work. Dooku would even believe I died if Anakin does, I'm sure of it." Obi-Wan persisted, and his voice still seemed certain.

All I could do was watch the man before me, and from observation I knew that he would not change his mind. Obi-Wan Kenobi was known for many things, and his stubbornness was one of them, nearly topping the rather long list.

Before I could respond, he continued, "That's why I need your help. Anakin can't come after me again. Not after I escape the prison. There's too much at stake. He'll need to be calm and collected, he will need your support to get through this."

I lifted my head up at that, narrowing my eyes, "So, after Anakin witnesses your death, you think that I'll be able to hold him back and make him sit tight when your apparent murderer is on the run and escaping any form of justice?" I paused, waiting for Obi-Wan to realise the many faults and flaws in his plan, "As much as I'm usually able to get through to Anakin, I doubt I'll be able to make him back down. Not unless he knows the whole truth."